Author of the phenomenally successful If Life is a Game, These are the Rules, Cherie Carter-Scott, Ph.D., is widely hailed as the premier expert on personal coaching. Her profound insight and realistic, encouraging guidance have inspired countless people to make critical changes to achieve success and live truly fulfilling lives. Throughout her career, Carter-Scott has risen to myriad challenges and overcome numerous obstacles. Yet her most consistently demanding, daunting, exhilarating, and rewarding task has been raising her now college-age daughter, Jennifer.
With her signature perception, wit, and dynamism, Cherie Carter-Scott offers the heart of what she has learned about being a mother-from decades of coaching many thousands of women worldwide and from her own intense experience. She unfolds ten underlying, universal truths about this special role in The Gift of Motherhood: 10 Truths for Every Mother.
Ten Truths for Every Mother
1. Having a child changes your life -Your reality is transformed the moment your child arrives.
2. Motherhood is an experience unlike any other-Becoming a mother is a profound and unique adventure.
3. A Mother has many roles-Raising a child is a multi-faceted job.
4. Children blossom when you honor their essence-Nurturing your child includes supporting what is unique and special about them.
5. Love shows up in many different forms-Your specific expression of love will change according to what your child needs at the time.
6. As your child grows, so will you. -Throughout your child's life, you will be presented with opportunities to learn new lessons.
7. There will be highs and lows -Amidst the challenges, there will be precious moments that make it all worthwhile.
8. Remembering to take care of yourself is essential -Taking care of yourself enables you to take better care of your child.
9. There is no such thing as a perfect mother -The best you can do is your best.
10. Motherhood is a journey that never ends -Children will grow up, however, you remain a parent forever.
While acknowledging that the reality of motherhood is unique to every mother, Carter-Scott firmly believes these truths apply to women of all nationalities, races, religions, and life circumstances. As she assures her readers, reflecting on the facts of these truths will serve as a source of comfort and a beacon of hope when the adventure of motherhood seems less than wonderful and utterly overwhelming. Carter-Scott urges mothers everywhere: "Remember that like all the women who have gone before you, you are up to the task, and you have the ability to fulfill your vision of becoming the best mother you can be."
Celebrating women called to motherhood while offering lights for the winding road ahead and handrails for support, Carter-Scott shares an array of thoughts and lived wisdom surrounding her ten truths for every mother (see box).
From the book:
Recognize Your Child's Gifts
Every child has a gift. It could be athletic, mechanical, a knack with numbers, musical abilities, physical attractiveness, an ability to connect with people, an aesthetic sense, a flare for foreign languages, or the ability to make people laugh. Part of your task as a mother is discovering your child's gifts. Gifts are not always obvious, especially if you are looking through the prism of your own experiences. In order to see your child's gifts, you need to observe without bias. This means that you must set aside your own preconceived notions of what he or she can and can't do, should or shouldn't be able to do. It means that you must see the innate gifts for what they are, not what you think they should be.
About the Author:
Cherie Carter-Scott, Ph.D., shown here with her daughter, is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller If Life is a Game, These are the Rules; If Love is a Game, These are the Rules; If Success is a Game, These are the Rules; Negaholics; and If High School is a Game, Here's How to Break the Rules (combined sales of more than 1,000,000). Founder and chair of the Motivation Management Service Institute, Inc., she conducts corporate and public seminars worldwide, dividing her time between California, Nevada, and the Netherlands.
• The Gift of Motherhood: 10 Truths for Every Mother at Amazon.com
• The Gift of Motherhood: 10 Truths for Every Mother at Amazon UK
• The Gift of Motherhood: 10 Truths for Every Mother at Amazon Canada