•  Complications Home
•  Glossary
•  Specific Complications
•  Bedrest Survival Guide
•  Success Stories
•  Suggested Books
•  NICU Support
•  Pregnancy After Loss Support
•  Pregnancy Channel

Bookmark and Share

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Pregnancy Complications

Success Stories - Jennifer

I was moving along well in my third pregnancy. I was excited to get my 20 week ultrasound done. I wanted to make sure the baby was healthy, and I was dying to know the sex. I left there confident that I had a healthy baby boy. My confidence was short lived for a day later I received a call from my physician indicating that I had placenta previa. She said not to worry, that I probably would not experience any of the symptoms. I was confident too and went about my merry business.

About three weeks later, i experienced my first bleed. I was freaking out and called my husband who was just getting on a plane for a business trip. Luckily he was able to rush home and take me to the hospital. I stayed for the night to have tests done and then I returned home on bedrest--not easy when you have two other children to care for. I tried to stay in bed but I did cheat.

After a week of not experiencing any bleeding my doctor lifted my restrictions and told me to take it easy. I did and about two weeks later while arriving at my friend's home for a party I felt what I thought was my water breaking. Not the case, just blood and lots of it. I felt for sure that I had a miscarriage so I had my husband drive to the hospital. Upon arrival the nurses hooked me up to a monitor and there was a heartbeat. I was shocked. I stayed at the hospital on bedrest for the next three weeks and it was still up for debate if I had a full, or partial previa. It was extremely frustrating but I knew I was in the best place to be if in fact something did happen.

About three weeks into my stay, I had a bleed in the middle of the night. I was resting and felt a whoosh; I immediately knew what it was since it felt like the last bleed. I calmly called the nurse and in a matter of seconds I had 10 or so staff in my room rushing me to the delivery side of the unit. My doctor appeared minutes later and said that she was sorry but that we had to deliver now! I was only at 28 and 1/2 weeks but I just felt that all would go well and it did! My son was born at 2 lbs. 13 oz. He stayed in the NICU for 2 months and for the most part has been extremely healthy. He is now 2 and is giving me a run for my money.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support