|November 2004 Project of the Month|
Pine Cone Turkeys
From simple materials and with a little help cutting, your child can create their very own turkey pet this Thanksgiving!
- Large pine cone
- Feathers in yellow, orange and green
- Brown, orange and yellow felt
- Brown pipe cleaner
- Set of googly eyes
- Small amount of fiberfill
- Craft glue
- Cut neck out of brown felt, wattle (the flap of skin under the turkey's beak) out of orange and beak out of yellow.
- Sew all but the bottom edge of the neck close to the edge. Glue the wattle over the neck and beak over the wattle.
- Stuff the neck with fiberfill leaving the bottom open and glue on.
- Place the pinecone on it's most stable side and glue the neck and head to the top side of the pinecone. You can stretch and place the neck over some of the projections on the cone for stability.
- Stuff and glue feathers in-between the back projections of the pine cone to form the turkey's tail feathers.
- Clip a small portion of pipe cleaner from each end and wrap around the longer portion to form three-pronged feet on each end. Wrap the pipe cleaner around the turkey so the feet are on the bottom toward the middle back. Glue in place.
Do you have an idea for another Project of the Month for our Crafts for Kids Cubby? We'd love to hear from you. Email our moderators with your suggestions!