Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Barbara's Pregnancy Journal

Week 32
~ Thinking About Labor

Hello Everyone,

I am still really tired, but I don't think that is a feeling that will be going away anytime soon. My kids are good. We had our last home school meeting on Monday. I am so glad to be done for the summer. We still had school this week. However, Friday was our last day. It is be good to be done. I have been too tired to do school lately. I think I had more energy with my previous pregnancies. I am so glad this baby will be born in the Summer. It will give me a little time to rest before school starts back up in September.

I had a doctor appointment on Thursday. It went well except I obviously looked as exhausted as I felt because my doctor commented on it. First he said hi and then he said, "you look exhausted." I will try not to look as tired as I feel for my next appointment. My doctor checked Alainnah's heartbeat and took my measurements. He commented that I will be having a big baby. He says he would really like me to have her a week early. We talked a little about my previous pregnancies and deliveries. I would like to have her a week or two early, but we will see. I would really like her to come on her own. I told my doctor I don't like to be induced; been there, done that. I don't want an episiotomy and I don't like medicine in any way during my labor. He smiled and said he won't do an episiotomy, but he might try to talk me into being induced if my body is already progressing. We'll see. I really don't like to be at the hospital laboring more than I have to. I really enjoyed my last labor with Quinton. Well, as much as one can enjoy a labor, there are parts of it that are just plain hard.

With Quinton, my water broke at midnight while we were trying to finish our Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart. I went to the bathroom and there it happened while I was sitting on the toilet. I tried to take care of myself and then went to my husband and told him that I thought my water had broken, but I was okay and I wanted to finish our shopping. We finished in a somewhat speedy manner and then he wanted to take me to the hospital. I told him no, I needed to go home and finish some things. So, we went back home and I started vacuuming. My husband took over. I folded some laundry. I tried to call my friend who was going to help out with my kids while I had my son. My husband tried to help with things too. I asked him to make our bed; he really didn't have a clue. All the while my contractions were getting more intense. I couldn't stand watching him make the bed anymore, so I did it. I called my sister and my friend (my children's auntie Tina) who I was hoping could make it to the delivery. My sister had a six hour drive. Tina had a two hour drive. Neither one of them were able to make it. I finally told my husband about ten minutes to 2am that it was time to go to the hospital. We left and I brought my nail polish so that I could paint my toes on the way there. In-between contractions I had my feet propped up on the dash and was painting my toe nails. It all worked out fine. I would have painted my finger nails too, but my contractions started getting too intense. I couldn't focus anymore on painting. My husband laughed at me. He thought the whole thing was comical. We got to the hospital shortly after two and they got me back there right away. A nurse checked me out and said I was in labor and took me to my room. Quinton was born at 5:01am. I had a awesome nurse and when I told her I didn't want any drugs she was very respectful and didn't push the issue. She really let me labor how I wanted to and just tried to make me as comfortable as possible. Some nurses can be pushy. The only thing I wasn't too excited about was that my doctor didn't deliver my baby. It was the on call doctor. Quinton was nine pounds and ten ounces. He was also 22 1/2 inches long. My biggest baby so far. I'm kinda hoping that record stays with Quinton. Alainnah can be a little bit smaller. However, she feels big, so we will see. Oh yeah, my sister drove that six hour drive when she got off work at six in the morning. I love my sister.

I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is going. It seems like it has flown by. I find myself thinking about how our family will change with the new baby. I am still excited, but I think Quinton might have a hard time adjusting to not being the youngest anymore. I know I am going to have to make sure he knows that even though he isn't the youngest, Alainnah could never take his place. I am going to let him know he is still my baby boy. I just want him to like his sister and know that I love him.

That is about it for this week. I will talk to you all again soon.

Until next time,
~ Barbara

Copyright © 2008 Barbara. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner