Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Bridget's Pregnancy Journal

Birth Story
~ Jack William is here!

JackI spent much of the day before my c-section feeling rather sorry for myself instead of being happy about meeting my baby. I was really upset about needing a c-section this time around, especially since Maddie and Ally were both vaginal deliveries. I think part of what upset me the most was just the unknown of it all. I really didn't want a scar and I didn't know how painful the recovery would be and that worried me.

I talked to a few friends and some family who helped me put it into perspective and by dinnertime, I was feeling better. We ordered take out from my favorite restaurant in town. They have the best cannolis I've ever had, so it's always a treat to order from there. I had to fast after midnight, but ended up not eating anything else for the rest of the night. I joked with Tom about firing up the grill at 11:30 pm and making me filet mignon and a big baked potato since my surgery wasn't scheduled until 1:45 pm the next day. That's a looonnngggg time to make a pregnant lady go without food! I was instructed that I could have up to 8 ounces of clear liquids up to 4 hours before surgery. I know I had more than that, but I couldn't help it. I was really thirsty and in hindsight, it didn't make a bit of difference.

I woke up the next morning feeling more at peace with the c-section idea. There wasn't a darn thing I could do about it anyway. I was just excited to meet my little man! I made the girls breakfast and took a shower. I ran to the grocery store to stock up on milk, fresh fruit for the girls and some magazines and stuff to read while I was in the hospital. My mom and her husband arrived a few days ago, and I didn't want them to need to go grocery shopping. I came home, finished packing and then cranked out a little 'instruction manual' for the girls for my mom and her husband.

The morning flew by and it seemed before I knew it, it was time to leave for the hospital. Maddie and Ally were sitting at the table doing watercolor paintings. Ally was really laid-back and casual about me leaving (a total surprise!). She said, "See ya, mom!" and that was that! Maddie, on the other hand, was really clingy and weepy. She really surprised me, I thought she would be more excited. After a few extra hugs and a promise to call her while we were on our way, and she was ok.

When we walked into labor and delivery, they were ready for us to start the pre-op stuff and they didn't waste any time. I changed into a lovely gown and got stuck a couple of times for blood samples and to get the IV going. Apparently, they like you to have one full bag done before you go into surgery. I've never had a catherater put in. I could have definitely done without that! I answered what seemed like 500 questions from the nurse, met the anesthesiologist and saw my Ob briefly before it was time. They hooked me up to belly monitors and low and behold, it revealed I was having contractions. I just laughed. My body just wasn't cooperating this time around. Well, the baby wasn't cooperating either with his funky little position.

On the way down to the surgery suite, my nurse said, "Ok baby, it's time to vacate the premises. You're about to be served your eviction notice!" I laughed so hard, I never thought of it quite that way before, but it was true!

Walking into the operating room felt weird. It was freezing in there and it felt very odd. It's such a passive way to have a baby. The first thing they did was give me a spinal. Tom waited outside until that was over and they had me laying down with the curtain up in front of my chest. I've had epidurals before and this wasn't any different except that instead of being able to at least wiggle my toes, I felt absolutely nothing from the chest down. Tom sat down next to my face and tried to make dumb small talk. He's really bad about trying to distract me. The anesthesiologist was right there too asking me questions constantly. I felt myself feeling very faint and nauseous and it was only a minute or two later and they had that under control. I could also tell my heart rate dropped really low at one point, making me feel really sleepy. Tom was still trying to talk to me and at that point I just had to ask him to be quiet. I think I had quite a bit of something in me, because I was feeling really delirious. Nothing my Ob did hurt, but I felt a lot of odd tugging and pulling. It didn't take long before I heard her say that the baby had a lot of hair. I wanted to see him!!! The next thing I felt was her lifting him out of my stomach. What a bizarre sensation! Tom took the camera in the operating room with him and I was yelling at him to take pictures!! Maddie would be so disappointed if she didn't get to see pictures of the baby covered in the "yucky-stuff"!! I could hear him screaming and boy did he sound mad!! I wanted to see him!! I hated not being able to see him. That darn curtain was in the way.

Finally, I saw the pediatrician take him over to the scale and exam table. It was positioned so I could watch and I just laid there while tears streamed down my face looking at my little guy. Jack William Watson was born at 2:48 pm weighing 8 lbs, 4 ounces and measured 22" long! No wonder this little, um long guy was in an oblique position. He ran out of room when he was in my tummy!! Tom was very quiet and over observing the pediatrician do the exam. He cut the cord (a second time) and after he was cleaned up, Tom got to hold him while I looked at them both. Tom went with the pediatrician to the nursery with the baby while they put me back together. I think it took about 40 minutes. I had my Ob do a tubal while she was in there, so it's absolutely official. Three babies is it for us!

I got back to my room about the same time as the baby was done in the nursery. I couldn't wait to hold him!! When I had the girls, right after I delivered them, they put the baby on my chest. I was loopy from the drugs, but my arms were anxious to hold him anyway. I wanted to nurse, too.

Finally, I got to look at my little guy! He's absolutely perfect. He has light brown-reddish hair and bright blue eyes. He figured out how to nurse really quickly. He doesn't have much of a chin, so his latch isn't the greatest, but we're working on it. I am in love and completely smitten with him. His sisters adore him too. And of course, Tom couldn't be happier. Our family is complete and I can't even begin to tell you how good it is to know that. I will savor this newborn stage. Sleep deprivation, c-section recovery and all. It won't last. They grow up so quickly. I'm sure there will come a day that I will miss having a little one to hold.

Copyright © 2005 Bridget Watson. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Backgrounds from Backgrounds from Original Country Clipart by Lisa