Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Christy's Pregnancy Journal

Week 32
~ Bedrest . . . The Beginning of Utter Boredom

I was good, I really was. I left the house two times in the five days following my doctor’s appointment. I laid on the couch and took plenty of time to rest in bed. I went in on Christmas Eve as planned to wrap up lose ends and made a small trip to the store for groceries. I was quite positive on Monday that my doctor was going to decide to treat my situation on a week to week basis and let me continue to work. My appointment was at 10:45 so I headed to the office first to follow up on anything that may had occurred over the holiday and touch base with my assistant so we could coordinate just in case. I was feeling pretty good when I left the office. I felt that I was really prepared for the worst case scenario which in my mind meant I wouldn’t be put on bedrest.

My doctor explained she was going to do a Fetal Fibronectin test and then reevaluate my cervix. She said the results were typically back within 24 hours and that this would indicate if my body was exhibiting signs it would be going into labor within the next two weeks. She asked about pain and I indicated I had some mild cramping and pain but nothing comparable to a contraction. She mentioned I had a lot of mucus and gave me a look that clearly indicated I was not returning to work. She informed me I was over 3cm dilated now and she was sending me back to Labor & Delivery for monitoring. She also told me she would be keeping me there for 24 hours to receive steroid injections for the baby’s lungs. The good news kept coming. I had elected to go to my appointment alone because I really thought this was going to a non-issue. I left the office knowing I had a round of calls to make. I needed to call work and my husband. I was not returning to work and even worse I was spending 24 hours in the hospital. I just couldn’t understand what was going on. In all honesty other than the occasional pain I felt fine, and Tyler had been showing no signs of distress or acting any different.

I was hooked up to an IV for hydrating and hooked up for monitoring. I was given my first shot for Tyler and was told that I would be monitored for about 30 minutes every time the shift changed over unless I felt contractions in between these times. After 24 hours I would be given my second shot and if there were no contractions I would be sent home and put on bedrest. I thought staying in bed at home was bad, but staying in the hospital when you feel perfectly fine is 10 times worse. They were hydrating me so I had pee constantly and had to drag the IV along every time. My husband and Trysta in the room with me was more nervewracking than comforting so they only came by twice and for less than 2 hours at a time to bring me food and keep me from feeling totally isolated. I got absolutely no sleep and was frustrated by the whole situation.

My doctor came by and told me to my utter shock that the Fetal Fibronectin test was negative. She said this was a good sign that I most likely would not go in labor in the next two weeks. However, due to the fact that my body is continuing to dilate and I have a T on my uterus, they are taking no chances with me because they do not want me to go into labor. I asked her what bedrest entailed exactly, could I still take my daughter to daycare everyday and then spend the rest of the day in bed. She explained I was on strict bedrest which meant other than to use the bathroom and take one 15 minute shower a day, I was to be laying or reclining, no walking, no sitting and certainly no driving. It was what I was afraid to hear. My husband is bogged down in inauguration planning and preparation and our closest family is 5 - 6 hours away. Our lives have become very complicated and a logistical nightmare.

Surprisingly, my husband’s command was very understanding and they understand he will be late for work pretty much everyday till the baby comes and that he will need a certain amount of flexibility over the next two months. Flexibility and the Marine Corps are like an oxymoron but they have actually been pretty great so far. My company has been outstanding; I am so fortunate to work for the company I do. They are working with me to let me work from home, which is not only good for my bank account but my sanity as well. My family is on standby at a moment’s notice to come help me with Trysta if the Marine Corps should stop being so understanding. I realize the strain this has put on everyone around me and I am so thankful for the people I have in my life. I am scheduled to see the doctor next week but I am stuck in bed until Tyler comes, so it will be my big outing.

Until next week . . .
~ Christy

Week 33 | Week 31
Christy's Home Page
Pregnancy Week-by-Week, Week 32

Copyright © 2009 Christy. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner