Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Danielle's Parenting Journal

Entry 9 - September 6, 2013
The Welcoming of a New Family Member

So in my last entry I posted that I was pregnant again, well my . . . the time does fly by. On July 5th, we welcomed a baby girl. Rylee Brynn was born at 12:17pm and was 7 lbs, 21 inches.

To catch up, the pregnancy and delivery was not easy. In fact, it was the hardest "physically" of all the 3. My first pregnancy with Baylee was emotionally difficult given all we went through with her heart defect and loss but physically, not so much. My second pregnancy with Bohdy was absolutely start to finish perfect. He was truly my miracle baby. My third pregnancy with Rylee my hormones were off the charts. I found myself feeling depressed, angry, happy, you name it, I felt it. It was the first time that I felt I could not get a grip on my emotions and it sure took a toll on both Jeramy and I. It was quite a rough first and second trimester. I was really starting to worry about the prospect of being hit by Post-Partum depression as well. Luckily by the middle of the second trimester, they balanced out and by the third trimester (emotionally) I was back to normal.

About half way into the second trimester, I had gotten sick three times in a row and found I had little bladder control. I was also having extreme back pain. I was literally in such discomfort from the back pain the entire remainder of the pregnancy. I had a hard time getting in and out of bed, sleeping and doing pretty much everything. On top of that, I had an anterior placenta, which masked so much of the baby's movements. The absolute best part of pregnancy I was missing out on. I didn't feel her move for the first time until 22 weeks and then I didn't feel daily movements until almost 30 weeks. Even after feeling the daily movements, it was nowhere near as frequent as it was with Bohdy. However, every ultrasound brought a sigh of relief as I could see her moving like crazy every time.

In the midst of being pregnant my boss at work came to me and said that they needed to eliminate a position in my area and if I wanted to become a stay-at-home mom, he would allow me to leave the company with a full severance package. If I didn't want the package then I would need to return to full-time and they were going to let go one of my co-workers. Jeramy and I had casually discussed the possibility of me staying at home after the baby, so after an agonizing decision on my part, I decided to take the package in April and officially became a stay-at-home mom. I have never really been one to not work, so immediately after I stopped working-- I knew I never wanted to go back to I/T (the computer field)--so I decided to go back to school to get a real estate license before the baby came. Therefore when I am ready to return to the work field, I would have that to fall back on. As of now, I have no intentions of returning to work, however I know I'll probably be ready in a year or so.

Believe it or not, we decided to not find out the sex of the baby. Jeramy really wanted to keep it a surprise, and I loved the idea of finding out the sex the day the baby was born, but for a while there, it got really hard, but I stuck to my guns and didn't find out. I was so glad I did; it just seems there aren't enough little surprises in life these days, and it made that anticipation exciting.

Now on to my delivery . . . my doctor decided on the evening of July 4th that they would start the induction. We went to the hospital about 11pm on the 4th after taking Bohdy to watch fireworks. They started the induction with Cytotec to ripen my cervix. It started the contractions, but they weren't excruciating. Then around 5am or so, they started the Pitocin. Shortly after 7am my doctor came in and broke my water. Well almost immediately after she broke my water the contractions became extremely intense. The nurse told me the anesthesiologist was going to be in surgery with a C-section until around 9:30am, so if I wanted an epidural it would either be now or I'd have to wait. I was first thinking I could wait until 9:30am but then decided 'NO', I wanted it now as the contractions were getting extremely painful. I got my epidural and for whatever reason, just like the last two deliveries, my left side went numb, my right side nothing. They had actually set me up with a drip to provide more medicine as needed, so after pushing the button a couple times, my right side finally went numb.

Right around 10am I was almost 10cm dilated so they called my doctor over. My doctor had me start pushing and I just could not push the baby out; I was pushing and pushing and nothing. Also the baby's heart was decelerating so drastically that my doctor wanted to take a break from pushing and they had me lay on my left side with my leg propped up in the air resting on the stirrup as this position was where the baby was responding best. My doctor felt the umbilical cord was somehow blocking her exit and brought up the possibility of a C-section.

Over the next hour and a half as I laid there, Jeramy and I would hear the baby's heart decelerate with each contraction, sometimes to almost nothing and we really began getting scared. I started silently praying, it was a scary, nerve-wracking hour and a half. My doctor came back in around noon and said we were going to get this baby out. I started the pushing again, extremely hard pushes and I just couldn't seem to get her pushed out. I felt like I was pushing everything but the baby out. I was literally out of breath. My doctor ended up getting the vacuum for assistance and with another big push, out she came. She came out with the cord wrapped around her neck, but thankfully she came out crying. It was such a relief to hear that little cry.

I was very adamant that Bohdy and Jake meet their baby sister before the rest of the family came in. The funny thing is, I remember they both came in to meet her, but honestly for the life of me I cannot remember it. I can't remember Bohdy's first reaction or anything. Finally the rest of the family came in and we all were so excited to have a new little girl in the family.

Bohdy has been quite a momma's boy that I was actually worried on how well he would adjust to a new baby, and like everything else, he never ceases to amaze me. He was so gentle with her from the start and couldn't wait to see her again. We did have to stay in the hospital an extra day as Rylee developed jaundice, but luckily everything turned out fine.

Rylee is now almost 2 months old and Bohdy is still so good with her. He loves to lay down on the floor next to her. He will lay there and talk to her and gently touch her head. He asks to 'carry' her which means he wants to hold her, he runs to sit on the couch and extends his arms, then he sits there holding her so gently. He is even already over protective over her. At her one month appointment, as the doctor was checking her over, she was crying and Bohdy said 'Don't hurt the baby'. He has just been so cute.

As for Bohdy, he is getting so big and let me tell you, that boy can talk . . . and talk . . . and talk. Since his birthday is so close to Christmas, for his second birthday we got a bunch of family together and took him on a train ride called the Polar Express. At the end of the train ride, Santa comes aboard and hands out a bell to all the kids. He was scared of every other Santa up to this point, but once Santa came up to him and gave him the bell that all changed. I never grow tired of watching his excitement with all the new experiences he meets throughout life.

I won't lie, being a stay-at-home mom and having two babies hasn't been easy. In fact some days are downright draining, but I love my babies more than anything on this earth. I look at Bohdy and always see him as that miracle that entered my life during such a difficult time and healed my heart. I look at Rylee and just love having a daughter and cannot wait to build that strong Mother/Daughter bond. I feel so blessed.


Entry 10 | Entry 8
Return to Danielle's Home Page
Visit StorkNet's Parenting Channel

Copyright © 2013 Danielle. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.