Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Danielle's Pregnancy Journal

Birth Story
~ Meet Bohdy Mack!

Bohdy MackSince everything the week before my induction happened so fast, I didn't really get a chance to write about my last week. We had our ultrasound and found out about the induction the day of Baylee's birthday, almost as though she was watching over him and letting everyone know it was time. Overall, it was a pretty good day. Jeramy had bought a cute little cupcake and we lit a birthday candle that evening next to her picture to remember what would have been her first birthday. I just cannot believe it has been a whole year since she was born and taken to heaven. It has definitely been the toughest year we have ever endured.

The induction was scheduled for 2am on Sunday December 12th. Since it was only decided a couple days before it was to take place that only left me with one day to get everything finished. Unfortunately, I had to work on Friday because I had decided early on not to take any days off before my induction as I wanted to save all my time for when the baby was here. I was planning on leaving work early on Friday but that was not to be as I was just too busy tying up all loose ends before I went out on Maternity leave. So my plan was to spend all day on Saturday cleaning and running errands and I was really hoping I'd also have time to get in a nap.

Danielle and BohdyOn Saturday, I woke up with diarrhea again and was totally bummed. All I could think of was oh no, I'm going to have this going on during delivery. I tried not to let it stress me out, but I was really hoping it would just be for the day and have cleared up before it was time to leave. All day Saturday, I was having really bad back pain, more than usual. I spent all day Saturday working around the house and honestly, even though I wanted to take a nap I was way too nervous thinking of the upcoming labor to lie down and rest so I kept cleaning. I was pretty satisfied with how the house looked so I decided about 10:30pm to go ahead and lay down. I had to wake up at 12:30am to call the hospital to confirm we are a go for the labor induction. When I called the hospital, they said I wasn't scheduled until 7am. I was a bit disappointed as I was really ready to get going. I don't know if the scheduler picked up on it or just realized I was actually scheduled for earlier because she called me back a few minutes later and said they could get me in at 3am. I went ahead and packed my bag, got all washed up, made myself something to eat and out the door we went on our way to the hospital.

BohdyI had mentioned my ideal birth scenario in my last entry of getting induced, followed by my epidural a couple hours later followed by the birth shortly after, all before the football game that afternoon only expecting it to be just that, an ideal birth scenario, not actually expecting it to become a reality, but my birth went EXACTLY as I wanted, who knew I would be so lucky.

We got all checked in and settled into our delivery room. I was nervously ready for the long day(s) ahead. My nurse told me they were going to put a gel on my cervix to start ripening it, and then two hours later they would start the Pitocin. Prior to putting on the gel, the nurse checked my cervix and said I was already a 'tight' 4cm dilated (yeah), but still only about 50% effaced. She started the gel at 4:30am, and then I had to stay in bed for one hour so it wouldn't come out. She checked me at 5:30am and said I was now a good 4cm dilated. During this hour, I really began having intense back pain and the start of true labor contractions. Unfortunately, I still had diarrhea and was wishing it would clear up soon. After the hour, she allowed me to get up and use the bathroom. We waited another hour and started the Pitocin at 6:30am. During this time, they were doing shift changes so we had a new nurse who would remain with me for the rest of the delivery. She was very attentive and wonderful. She took such great care of me.

Jeramy and BohdyAround 7:30am she checked me and I was around 6cm dilated. She said second babies always come faster than the first and since my OB was already onsite ready to perform a cesarean for another patient, she suggested I get my epidural soon if I wanted one as she knew my OB would come in and break my water and get things moving fast. I was having some strong contractions and extreme back pain, but nothing so intense yet that I couldn't breathe through, but I went ahead and agreed as she suggested.

During labor with Baylee, I had a problem with my right side not going numb and ended up with a second epidural by the second day. I mentioned that to the nurse and she said they would definitely make sure to stay on top of it. The anesthesiologist came in around 8am and started the epidural. Just like last time, the left side went completely numb within 10 minutes, the right side nothing. The nurse had the anesthesiologist give more medicine and I laid on my right side for a while and by 8:45am it was completely numb and I was feeling no pain. Actually, I was feeling nothing because of them giving me a bigger dose so soon after the first one.

BohdyIt was around 9:15am that I started feeling a little nauseous and I mentioned it to the nurse. She got suspicious and said she wanted to check me. She said women who progress really fast will sometimes feel nauseous. She checked and my water had already broken on its own, I was already 9cm dilated and the baby was already down there ready to come out (thank goodness I listened to her and got my epidural). I told her I was a little worried that I wasn't going to be able to push because I couldn't feel anything, I didn't even feel the intense pressure from behind like last time, but she said I would be fine, I've done it once before and will remember how the second time. She called for my doctor to come in immediately as she noticed the baby was getting stressed in the birth canal. She had me all prepped for delivery as my OB walked in just before 9:30am. My OB just sat down and immediately said 'Push'. I pushed twice with only a quick breath between pushes and out he came.

FAMILY!Bohdy Mack was born at 9:33am at 7lbs 1oz and 21 1/4 inches long. Since he was born with the irregular heartbeat, they wanted to do follow ups on him just to ensure he is doing okay. I got to spend the rest of the day watching football with Jeramy and our wonderful baby boy just as I had hoped for. The cardiologist ran an EKG on Sunday and followed up on Monday with a fetal echo and ruled out any potential issues. He also felt confident his irregular heartbeat would clear on its own. We were able to go home Monday evening.

Life with our precious little Bohdy has definitely been a big adjustment from what I was used to but is absolutely wonderful. I cannot even express how happy he makes me. I have always felt very lucky for having a wonderful husband, but now I feel like I have been blessed with two of the most amazing men a girl could ask for. While I still hurt from losing our daughter Baylee and she will always have a special place in my heart reserved just for her as she was my first born; I feel like Bohdy has helped heal part of that pain and I do believe Baylee will always be looking down on her little brother and watch over him.

Maybe one day you will see me on here again, but if not, thank you Maribeth for allowing me to share my journal and offering encouragement along the way. Thank you to all of you that wrote me also offering your support and encouragement. I wish for every one of you that are currently pregnant or trying to conceive nothing but easy pregnancies and healthy babies to love.


Copyright © 2010 Danielle. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.