Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Emily's Pregnancy Journal

Birth Story
~ Welcome Titus!

Welcome TitusSurprise, surprise! Well, I really did not think I would be writing my Birth Story this week. I thought for sure I had at least another week left. What a relief to have it over with though. We have been enjoying our precious little boy ever since!

I suppose I should start back with my doctor's visit earlier this week. I went in for my regular checkup on Tuesday morning. We listened to baby's heartbeat and it was in the 140s again. I also was encouraged to weigh in after Thanksgiving and find that I had not gained any. That was nice. My doctor did check me again this time and found that I was dilated to a 4 plus, and that I was 70% effaced. I talked to her about when she wanted me to call in when contractions finally got going, due to my past experiences. With Isabelle I came in complete, and with Michael I was dilated to a 4 plus and had contractions that seemed to stall out. She ended up having me come in and she broke my water, after which Michael came in two quick hours. My doctor said she thought this time it would probably be those two basic scenarios again. I would either end up waiting until I was sure it was time and come in complete, or that I would end up having my water broken again. She said that with as far along as I was already, I could just pick a day to come in and she go ahead and break my water if I wanted her to. I decided to go ahead and wait it out a little while and see what happened.

Going homeWell, after I got home I started having some cramping and a backache. I assumed this was nothing out of the ordinary. Around 4:00 that afternoon I also started to have some contractions that were fairly mild still. I figured that they would go away again like they had before. Jeremy had just gotten home from work and so I filled him in on everything the doctor had said. He had a meeting that night at our church, and I really debated on whether or not he should go. I figured if I had him stay home, then everything would just go away as it had many times before. So, I decided he should just go. Well, of course, things started picking up after he left.

The contractions were gradually getting stronger and closer together. I figured at this point, around 7:00, that they were mild enough that they would still just quit. So, I decided to get some things ready, put the kids to bed a little early, and take a shower to see if that would make it go away. After I got all that done it was about 8:15 and it was becoming very obvious that this was it. So I called Jeremy and told him he should probably be leaving very soon to come home. He was about 35 minutes away, which seemed like an eternity. He also called his parents at this time, since my father-in-law was the one we had picked out to stay with the kids, so they could be headed to our house. Luckily the kids were sleeping and this worked out quite nice.

While Jeremy headed home, I called the Birthing Center and told them the situation. Contractions were coming approximately every 5-7 minutes and lasting around 45 seconds. I found out when I called that my doctor was already there, so they said to come on in. They also told me at this time that the room that I was requesting was full and the 'water birth' room was the only one available. (They have two rooms available, the 'pink room' and the 'blue room', plus the water birth room. The other two rooms have a bigger bed and don't have a big tub in the middle of the room.) I really found this annoying at this point in time. I almost said that I would wait for the other room. Haha! Yeah right! Then I came back to my senses and told them we would be heading in very soon. Jeremy FINALLY arrived home and we quickly loaded everything up and headed into the Birthing Center.

Isabelle and TitusWe arrived at about 9:15 p.m. and immediately got into our room and settled in. My mother-in-law was with us, and my mom and both of my younger sisters arrived shortly after that to be there for the birth. It was very nice to have them all there. Our nurse came in and checked the baby's heart rate, which was great, and then she checked me. Before checking, she asked when my last appointment at the doctor was, and how dilated and effaced I was at that time. I filled her in on everything, and when she checked me she found that I was dilated to 7cm. I was very surprised to hear this as the contractions were not near as strong as I had expected at this point. I was hoping that this meant that the next 3cm would be a breeze. Ha! I am afraid not. It was still easier than it was with Michael, but there was some definite pain. I had quite a bit of back pain too, but thanks to my wonderful husband who was very diligent in rubbing my back with each contraction, it helped to ease some of that.

Things progressed along pretty good, and by 11:00 p.m. I asked to be checked again and found that I was at a 9. It was also at this time that my nurse informed me that the people in the 'blue room' had a false alarm, so they were leaving and we could move in there if we would like. I told them that would be very nice since is just a better set up and bigger too. They told us they would get it ready as quick as they could.

So, around 11:30 p.m. we moved across the hallway, just in time to start pushing. I was feeling lots of pressure at this point and the contractions were coming every 1-2 minutes and VERY intense. I was glad to be able to start pushing to help relieve some of that extreme pain. My doctor came in from the 'pink room' at this point since she had been helping someone in there, and around 11:40 p.m. I started pushing. As it neared midnight, I was beginning to think that giving up was sounding really good. Luckily though, I was able to get a couple of more good pushes in, and right at midnight, Titus Keith Wayne made his appearance, being born into his Daddy's arms. Wow!

Emily, Michael and TitusJeremy then put him on my tummy. It is so amazing what seeing and holding your precious little one will do to make it all worth while. He is so handsome and there is nothing like hearing that precious little cry. Because he was born right at midnight, and they said that for their records they use military time and could not use all zeros, they let us pick 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m. So, we went ahead with the December 1st at 11:59 p.m.

Titus weighed in at 7lbs 5oz, and 21" long. Our doctor thought he would be over 8lbs, but I was very pleased that he was not. I did not tear this time either. Yay! I also had told them when we arrived that I had trouble with bleeding with the other two kids, so they were ready with a shot of Pitocin to give me in my leg as soon as he was born. That was not the most pleasant since it made my leg cramp up a little, but it appears to have done its job. I had very minimal bleeding this time and as a result felt SO MUCH better afterwards.

Titus did eat well the first time too, although it appears he is going to be a little more of a lazy eater. He had his bath and was weighed and measured. We tried to rest while we were there but just could not sleep with all that adrenaline. We decided to not stay the full 8 hours allowed, but instead left at around 6:30 a.m. to head back home where we could rest in our own bed.

Baby TitusWe arrived home at 7:00 to find Isabelle and Michael awake and having breakfast already. I was surprised to find they could sense something was going on too, since they were asleep when we left the night before. When we came in, Jeremy was carrying the car seat, and he came in to where they were and told them we had brought our baby home with us. Their reaction was priceless! Isabelle looked at Titus, looked at my tummy, and looked back at Titus. It was fun to watch the wheels turning. Then she just grinned really big and wanted to hold him. Michael just kept looking at him and wanted to give him kisses. It was so sweet!

We have been adjusting pretty well now. Again, I cannot believe how much better I feel this time without the loss of blood. The difference really is night and day. I had no idea you could feel this good after giving birth. I am definitely tired, but I do not have that feeling of being completely wiped out and drained. It has been so nice and I am just trying to not overdo things.

I still can't believe that I am writing this and that I am sitting here with my beautiful baby boy. A big thank you to Maribeth for choosing me to do this. I have had a lot of fun writing the entries and it will be nice to have all of this, something a little extra special, to give to Titus when he gets older. Thanks to all of you for following my journal. I really appreciate it!

~ Emily

Copyright © 2009 Emily. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Country Graphics by Camille