Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Heather's Pregnancy Journal
Week 14
Yikes! What a Week!

Join me on my voyage into TMI territory, won't you?

Greetings again!

This week started out well... I think. I don't really remember anything too clearly before Wednesday evening, so I'll start there.

Wednesday evening, I left work a little early so I could get Matthew from daycare. We got home and I thought, "hm. I need to go to the bathroom." Nothing new there, I'm pregnant. So off I went. Started doing what it is you in the bathroom when I looked down and saw


A fair amount of it. Not a ton, but it was red and my underwear was ruined (see? TMI sorry)

At this point my brain went into split-mode. I became two people: 1) Hysterical Heather and 2) Rational Heather.

Rational Heather was very good at keeping Hysterical Heather at bay while the three of us ran off to find my favourite Everything You Need to Know About Pregnancy book. Rational Heather did the reading. Basically we needed to wait 12-24 hours to see if it stopped on its own - after all, there was no cramping, there were no chills or shivers or aches, and there was no fever. Apart from the freaky blood turning up, everything felt normal.

Except I had never experienced this before - not at all with Matthew and not in the last 13 weeks. So Hysterical Heather didn't back away completely.

I tried to remind myself that a lot of women have spotting and regular "periods" through their entire pregnancies and still give birth to completely healthy babies. So I was thrilled beyond belief when it seemed to be stopping itself in a couple of hours. Then I went to bed. I got up in the late night to, well, go to the bathroom again and decided to turn on the light so I could see if anything new had developed. Yeah, back to nice red blood again.

Thursday morning, it seemed to be ending itself again - light but not stopping. So I dropped Matthew off at daycare and went shopping (needed more snacky-goodness in large quantities from Costco). I got home, ate half of my lunch, threw it up (see? No new symptoms!) and decided to have a nap. This was at noon.

I woke up at 4:00. Apparently I was sleepy. I uttered a thank you to all the people in my life who make it possible for me to completely flake out for an entire day and not have to worry about my kid while I do it.

Friday, spotting was still there. I waited until an appropriate time in the day, and called my OB's office (I have yet to see her - that will happen at the end of this month) to see what they suggested. The girl on the phone agreed with Rational Heather - "It's probably nothing, but maybe you should go get looked at. The Doctor isn't in 'til Tuesday, so either go to your family doctor or go to emergency."

I went to emergency.

And Hysterical Heather finally won out. I off and on sobbed for what seemed like hours, but was probably only about 45 minutes. A girl from work took me to the hospital so I wouldn't be alone and my mother met us there as soon as she could (again, about 45 minutes or so, probably less). It was surreal. I alternated between sobbing in a mix of fear and despair and cracking jokes with people, because again - it was probably nothing. All in all I'd say the whole ordeal went quickly - about three hours. They ran all the tests - urine, blood, ultrasound. And everything looked fine. The baby was sleeping but the heart was beating and it had the hiccups (great - Matthew had the hiccups for about 5 months every night when I went to bed - I am sooooo not looking forward to that again). The next day, Saturday, the spotting stopped completely. In the end, I'm glad I went and got it checked out.

And then the annoyance factor kicked in. I personally know a ton of people who miscarried at 14 weeks and some after (18-20). I know many people who have had stillborns. I will note that it was none of these people who cheerfully told me (after my fun afternoon at the hospital) that "Oh I had lots of spotting, it's nothing!" Or "So-and-so had spotting at 3 months too!" I get where they're coming from. I really do. They're trying to tell me everything will be okay - hey I just had an ultrasound and blood work to show that everything is okay but please - before you try to brush off one of the top miscarriage symptoms - try to remember that this is not YOUR pregnancy we're talking about. It's MINE! And no two pregnancies are alike! I can attest to that! I'm sicker, more tired, and more worried about every little symptom with this one than I was with the last.

You'll be glad to know that I have since calmed down about the annoyance factor. I realize I'll have to live with it. And besides, I finished my week on an incredible high - the Toronto Spring Baby Time Show!

Oh we scored some major deals - got toys for the kids (you know the ones, those books that are really cheap because there are thirteen spelling mistakes in them or the last of some line of toys that are scratched up and it looks like they've been repackaged in kitchen grade plastic wrap), I bought a sling (Matthew hated it, but I'm not planning on giving Baby #2 the option), a fabulous new stuffie for Baby #2, a super-cheap Sophie the Giraffe, and the Playtex people were handing out free 4oz Drop In bottles! Score! I should have changed my shirt and gone back through to get more of them.

And on top of that - Matthew stayed home with Mike so I didn't have to chase him around the place all day! It was great!

And that's about it for now!

Until next week!
~ Heather

Copyright © 2011 Heather. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner