Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Jennifer's Parenting Journal

Entry 7 ~ October 16, 2013
~ Welcome Baby #8!

Hello everyone!

I was looking back at my journals and I can't believe it's a year since my last entry! Goodness!! SO much has happened in this last year... I'm not sure where to start! I guess I'll start where I left off last and give you a brief outline.

In December, my mother retired from teaching school for over 30 years. It wasn't when she was planning on retiring, but it worked out to be what she needed, for my grandmother passed away in early January. Caleb (2) and I flew out to Idaho for her funeral. It was very good to see my family! With our catering business, we don't have any vacation; so if family doesn't come see us, then we don't see them.

I can't remember if anything significant happened in the next few months, so we'll just skip to May.

In April sometime, I was talking to my mother and I jokingly told her we need a babysitter for May 18, since we had a wedding to cater for and my in-laws were not available. Well, what started as a joke quickly turned in to reality. Being retired and renting an apartment, my mother decided that she could indeed come and "babysit". Only she came in May and left in September! My husband's awesome to stand living with his mother-in-law that long, isn't he? She stayed that long because we were super busy this summer and she wanted to help out. We have never been as busy as we were this summer. Goodness! It seemed like all we did was run!

In July, I was the cook (again) for the summer camp we help run. Of course, it was also the hottest week of the whole summer! But we had a very good turn out, with 50+ kids all week. It was nice to have my mother and mother-in-law in the kitchen with me, too.

In August we had another baby!! Samuel Arthur was born August 5, 20.5" long and weighing in at 6 lbs 13 oz. He wasn't due until the 10th, but in light of all the problems our children have had, (they all have meconium in the bag of waters before birth and this has caused issues with their breathing) we prayerfully decided that inducement was the best way to go. My first child was a c-section, so I can't be induced the way most women are. The appointment to be induced was on a Thursday, but I had thought my water had broken the Saturday before, so we went in to check it out. It hadn't broken, but my doctor was there and on call, so we decided to start the Pitocin on Sunday (the next day), for she didn't want to send me home contracting and all (we live a good distance from the hospital). At one point on Sunday, they thought they were going to have to send me home because they needed my room. But they didn't and we kept on trying to have a baby.

By 6 am on Monday he still wasn't born and Adam had to leave to cook the meals (we have the county's contract for the "meals on wheels" elderly feeding program and my husband has to deliver the needed meals Monday - Thursday, rain or shine.) So there I am, in labor and my husband has to leave! My mother and mother-in-law were there, so I wasn't alone, but still . . .! I was praying that Adam would make it back in time. Shortly after he left, I asked for an epidural because I could feel that I wasn't able to relax through the contractions anymore. By 7:30 I was far more comfortable and things were moving right along.

About 10:30 or so, I started feeling like things were coming to an end. I wasn't quite pushy, but I was close. Yet Adam wasn't there yet. I was caught between wanting to hold off until he got there and getting this over with. Adam's mother was trying to call him, but he didn't answer until the fourth time she called. She asked him where he was and he said in the parking lot. She told him to RUN! And run he did! He walked into the room at 10:55 and Samuel was born at 11 am on the nose!

He is 9 weeks old now and we are all doing really well! I now have 5 boys and 3 girls. It gets a bit loud and crazy around here sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

We are a homeschooling family as well. I have 5 students this year: 6th, 5th, 4th, 2nd, and 1st along with a preschooler, toddler, baby and a partridge in a pear tree I have a different schedule this year, along with new curriculum and it is working very well (so far!). We are doing a block schedule, where each day we do 4 subjects. I asked the children to pick 2 colors for this year and they chose black and green. So on black days we do Bible copying, spelling, math, and history. On green days we do reading, handwriting, math, and science. I am really happy with how things are going, including my discipline to make school happen when it should instead of ignoring it! We have a 4 day week, Monday - Thursday, so our schedule matches Adam's. That way, if there is something we want to do as a family, we can and we don't have to "skip" school for it.

I think that's about it for me! I know that was quite a bit, but it's not easy catching people up on a whole year!

Blessings to all!
~ Jennifer

Entry 8 | Entry 6
Return to Jennifer's Home Page
Visit StorkNet's Parenting Channel

Copyright © 2012 Jennifer D. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner