Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Jennifer's Pregnancy Journal

Week 38
~ The Yo-Yo Trip

I went to see my midwife on Tuesday and all looked well. Her daughter is getting married on Friday, September 25, and so she will be unavailable today (Thursday and Friday). She wanted to see me before she takes her mini-vacation. She has given me the names of two midwives who will fill in if need be; one is 2 1/2 hours away and one is 30 minutes away (but this closer one is not licensed). I told her there wasn't going to be any need for the other midwives since I never go early. Was I in for a big surprise!

I began to notice contractions while we were in the car around 2 pm. I didn't pay too much attention to them since I have been having those braxton hicks off and on for 5+ weeks. It takes us about two hours to get home, and they were still coming but they were not hard at all. I could tell they were real contractions because they would start in my back and radiate around to the front. Sometimes they would also radiate down my thighs. So I knew these were real. Plus, they didn't go away with any activity I did. I would stand, walk, sit, lie down, eat, drink, and take very warm showers and they would not go away. They stayed 10-15 minutes apart until around 2am on Wednesday morning. They moved closer together, 5-8 minutes apart, and stayed that way until around 10 pm Wednesday night. Again, they didn't slow down or go way, but they didn't get much stronger either. I could still talk through them and do regular things around the house.

Since my midwife was going to be unavailable until Friday night, we decided to meet half way between her house and mine last night (Wednesday) so she could check me over and we could talk face to face. It turns out I'm about 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced, with the baby being at about a 0 station (which means the head is about even with the pelvic bone). I was surprised that I was even that far, so it appears all those contractions were doing something after all. She suggested that I take about 1/4 of a cup of Nyquil (using the little cup that come with the medicine, not a 1/4 cup you use in baking!) to help me sleep since I didn't get any sleep the night before. It worked nice and even slowed the baby down. That may not seem very nice to say, but as active as this child is, and as tired as I was, it was a nice break. I slept all night and didn't even wake up to use the bathroom until around 6 am this morning! Nice!

Once I got up and started moving around, the contractions came back. They are still not painful, but they are noticeable. I don't know how close they are together because I'm refusing to watch the clock. Why should I? I just spent 30 of the last 45 hours having regular contractions without stop. I'm not concerned about them this morning. Does this mean the baby will be here soon? I don't know. I'm not the One in control, God is. And I trust in that. Sure it would be nice to know what's going on (or really, when is it going to end), but I don't need to know that for me to be calm. I am in complete rest knowing that He is in charge of everything, for He knows what I need and what this baby needs. Maybe my next entry will be a baby story? I'd like that, but if not, I'm okay with that too.

Hope you all have a great week/end!

~ Jennifer

Week 39 | Week 37
Jennifer's Home Page
Pregnancy Week-by-Week, Week 38

Copyright © 2009 Jennifer D. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner