Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Karin's Pregnancy Journal

Week 14
~ Second Trimester!

As I write and reflect on this past week of my pregnancy, I am devastated about the events of the last two days. I had such a great week, but that is shadowed by the sadness and disbelief I feel thinking about the victims, survivors, and families involved in the attacks on our country. My prayers and condolences go out to all. Our world is forever changed.

I am officially in the second trimester! *doing a happy dance* My body actually seems to be cooperating; the nausea is beginning to level off. I can eat! I still get up every two hours during the night to visit the restroom. One day I was complaining about not sleeping straight through the night, and TJ said I had better get used to it since I won't be sleeping through for the next twenty-five years!

This week started with a visit to the midwife. I was supposed to see Wendy, but she was doing a newborn exam, so I met with Heather. Yay! I know Wendy will be wonderful, but I have quickly developed a close, comfortable relationship with Heather. TJ came to my appointment too. I was so nervous about the heartbeat. Heather said there was less than a 2% chance of not hearing the heartbeat. TJ really wanted to try, so I caved. Heather felt for the size of my uterus and exclaimed that it was growing well! That made me feel more comfortable that we would hear Bean. It only took Heather about a second to find the heartbeat! What an amazing sound…I didn't know whether to burst into tears or giggles! I chose giggles. My life is forever changed by that precious heartbeat. Heather knows I don't like the ultrasound emitted by the doppler, and she doesn't have a counter on hers. She only listened for a few moments and counted the beats to between 140 and 150.

The rest of the appointment went well. My blood pressure was almost exactly the same as the reading I took myself! I was so excited because I didn't think that the readings would match so soon into our relationship. I must trust her more than I think. All my blood work came back fine, excellent in Heather's words. The only issue is that I am RH negative. Fortunately, I don't have any antibodies in my blood from the miscarriage (and the potential other miscarriages that I suspect). This could mean one of two things: either I am incredibly lucky, or that TJ (and a previous partner with whom I suspect one miscarriage) is RH negative as well. TJ doesn't know his blood type. Heather mentioned getting some blood from him, and he was not thrilled. He is going to check with his doctor, and if he hasn't been typed as of yet, he will get it done. I told him if I am going to birth his baby without drugs, he could certainly handle one needle or finger stick for Bean's and my sake! I am concerned with a few things about Rhogam. My mom is also RH negative, and she did not have it with any of us; furthermore, she did not have any RH complications. Rhogam is made with the preservative thimerisol, which is actually mercury. This could lead to complications for Bean. There is a thimerisol-free version, so I will insist on that. Another thing that bothers me is that one of the side effects can be increased incidence of allergies in babies whose moms have allergies. I have several severe food allergies as well as environmental ones; I would do anything in my power to ensure that my babies do not get my allergies. They are miserable. Hopefully, TJ will be RH negative, or I still have a lot of research to do. We also declined the AFP (also known as triple screen, quad screen, or maternal serum) test. This measures the possibility of Down Syndrome and neural tube defects, and it has a high positive rate. We decided that the results wouldn't change how we feel about Bean; consequently, we didn't want the stress and further testing that would come with a positive.

Heather insists that my next appointment will be with Wendy. Actually, I am looking forward to meeting her since there is a possibility she will be attending at Bean's birth, and I would like to meet her beforehand. I must need more things to keep me busy because I am already counting down the days until my next appointment. I can't wait to hear precious Bean again! Maybe we can try with the fetoscope this time.

I am developing a little belly! It's only noticeable to TJ and I, but it is there! I knew my clothes weren't fitting right. I'm not anywhere near ready for maternity clothes, but the next size up would be nice. I don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that I am not going to wear for very long. I do have two pairs of shorts and one pair of pants that are pretty big. I think I'm getting braver about going to the consignment stores. I looked a little online but didn't find any good bargains.

On Thursday, TJ and I woke up and decided that we really needed to get out of town. We were prepared to cancel our vacation that morning because TJ still had not found a new job. We cancelled the trip, and less than an hour later, he got a job offer! We concluded that we should not take a big trip now, but a weekend away would be great. We went up to the mountains in British Colombia--we usually go there every year because it is so beautiful (and affordable with the exchange rate!). We had booked a queen bed junior suite at the hotel, and they upgraded us to a king bed loft suite! The room had 20-foot ceilings, with floor to ceiling windows and a panoramic mountain view! Wow! We hiked, saw three bears, and ate--I only had one afternoon/evening of nausea. I spent one afternoon in the hotel spa getting a pregnancy massage, manicure and pedicure. It was a great getaway with amazing weather. I'm just dreading getting the bill!

Copyright © 2001-2002 Karin Johnson. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Background graphics courtesy of Country Patch Collections