Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Kaye's Twin Pregnancy Journal

Week 32
~ Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

This week has been absolutely brutal. I wrote last week that Ella and I had nasty colds, but they just continue to get worse. Last week Ella was up multiple times overnight every night, and mostly would only nap sitting up in my lap, which meant that I didn't get much rest myself. I had thought she was getting better, but Friday morning she woke up burning with fever (despite having had a dose of Baby Advil) and so we decided it was time for her to see the doctor.

Well, by the time we got there she was even hotter, listless and breathing really heavily. The doctor took a quick look at her, diagnosed her with an ear infection and told us to head to the Children's Hospital for a chest x-ray and further examination. We ended up spending most of the day (over 5 hours) hanging around the Children's Hospital. Ella was a real trooper, letting me give her an inhaler (with a special mask attachment) and even getting her chest x-ray without a single tear. I think that was the hardest part for me, watching her get strapped into this plastic contraption with her arms above her head, and then having to leave the room because I'm pregnant. I'm so glad she didn't cry, because I think I would have burst into tears out there in the hallway. The technicians, though, said she was too good - apparently they get better shots if the child is crying and breathing deeply.

Luckily the x-ray came back clear, so she doesn't have pneumonia. The doctor did prescribe antibiotics for the ear infection and we had to give her the inhaler regularly for two days, plus she got a dose of oral steroids at the hospital. The doctor also said he doesn't think she has asthma, but since Aaron and I both have asthma, it's still a possibility, so we may be spending more time at the Children's Hospital in future.

Ella has been doing a lot better since then. She still has sniffles and a cough, but her breathing sounds a lot better and her appetite has returned. She's also sleeping through the night again, although I'm still having trouble getting her to nap.

Unfortunately, I've been getting worse. Friday's adventure left me drained, and, despite spending as much time as possible resting on the weekend, I'm still worn out. I've been living on tea and honey, Tylenol and Benadryl, but I still feel like crap. And now that the weekend is over, I'm not getting much rest at all. My throat is still aching, and when I talk I sound like a chain-smoker (pretty funny considering the size of my baby bump). I suppose it's possible that I've developed a throat or sinus infection, but I'm just too exhausted to try and get in to the doctor to have it checked. I just keep hoping it'll just go away on its own. Sigh.

I haven't really mentioned the pregnancy so far in this entry because there's not much to relate. The boys have calmed down a bit - they're probably running out of room. They spend a lot less time kicking away these days and more time (presumably) resting. I have been having more cramping, both dull and sharp pains across my abdomen. I've also started taking Raspberry Leaf Tea, which I credit with only pushing for 20 minutes with Ella. Speaking of Ella, it's been getting harder to pick her up. In fact, the last few days I've had pain across my belly when I pick her up, but with her being sick it's just too hard to say no.

Oh, I almost forgot our other sort of baby-related news. We finally bought a car. A minivan, actually. It's a 2007 Pontiac Montana, colour: purple. Aaron is picking it up today. I still haven't got my full license yet. In fact, I've pretty much given up on my driving lessons until after the twins are born. I was just finding it uncomfortable behind the wheel - by the time I was close enough to reach the steering wheel my belly was resting uncomfortably on my thighs. Plus I found it really distracting to feel kicks and Braxton-Hicks while trying to concentrate on the road. Hopefully I can get away without a C-Section so that I can have a quicker recovery time and resume my driving lessons while Aaron is still home. The weather should be better by then too, which will make things easier.

I'm really looking forward to my next ultrasound and OB appointment on Thursday. I'm hoping that both boys are still head down, or at least that the lower twin is. I'm also anxious to see how big they are - hopefully Baby A has caught up to his brother again. I can't believe I'll be having these babies in the next one to four weeks, and yet I'm so ready to be done being pregnant.

Well, I guess that's it for next week. Sorry to be such a whiny-pants this week. Hopefully my next entry is more positive - at least I'll have news about the babies to share!

Until then,
Week 33 | Week 31
Kaye's Home Page
Pregnancy Guide Online, week 32

Copyright © 2011 Kaye. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner