Entry 9 ~ July 14, 2010
~ Decisions Decisions
Jeremy's sister's shower went well, and I started kind of talking to his mom again but still not a whole lot. Kennywood was great, and the baby had fun. He went on the merry-go-round and the train and that's it but still had fun being with the family.
He is sick again. Just two weeks ago he had an ear infection and had trouble breathing and now he has two ear infections and trouble breathing again but is getting better. So that's all good.
I took him to the orthopedic surgeon to see about another second opinion on his foot. I just don't know what to do so if anybody can help me with this I would really like to know. There are two options. He has tibial hememilia which means his tibia bone is shorter than the other bone so his foot is twisted inward. The first thing they could do is a lengthening of the bone. This is only done in Baltimore which is four hours from here and it wouldn't be done till he's eight or nine years old. It is a minimum of two surgeries, possibly up to four. After the surgery they put a metal contraption on his left for 6 months to a year, and this would be after each surgery plus when he gets older it wouldn't be strong. Because it is lengthened, it will be weak and because the tibia bone is a major bone in the ankle, his ankle wouldn't have a lot of support so he could possibly break the ankle. Plus this procedure is very painful.
The other option is to amputate his foot. This would be done when he is a year to a year and a half. He would be kept in the hospital two days and put in a cast for two weeks to keep the swelling down. They would give him a prosthetic foot and never have another surgery. From what I read, the ones who have the amputation rather than lengthening have less surgeries, less pain, and they are way more active. The surgeon told us about one who had it done and is 12 now. The only problem he has is that he keeps breaking the prosthesis because he is so active. He plays football and basketball and all sorts of things.
I know that it would be better to go that route but I just can't bring myself to say amputate it. I just don't know what to do. My sister has a patient that had his foot amputated when he was a baby. She is going to have him call me so I can ask him how he felt growing up and if he had a choice what would he have done knowing what he knows now. This is a very big decision and I just want to do what's right for him. I don't want him to hate me when he gets older.
This weekend is the wedding I am kind of looking forward to it. Little J is in the wedding. He is the ring bearer and he is wearing a tux; he is adorable in it. The flower girl is going to pull him down the aisle in a red wagon. It's going to be so cute. The next weekend is the baby's first birthday party and then off to vacation. I can't wait!
That's all I have to write about right now. Please, if you have any ideas or advice, please email me and let me know. I need to know what to do.
Take care and God Bless,