Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Kelly's Parenting Journal

~ Meet Kelly

KellyHello everyone. My name is Kelly, and I have been reading the StorkNet journals since I got pregnant. I wanted to write a journal then but my pregnancy was pretty stressful. I am 32 years old and am engaged to a wonderful guy. I have always wanted children but the doctors said it would be very difficult to get pregnant but I did. I was so happy. I was on cloud nine.

Then came the day when we had our ultrasound to find out if we were having a boy or girl and we found out it was a boy. I was thrilled for a few hours until I got a phone call saying that the ultrasound showed some abnormalities so they wanted me to have another ultrasound. This ultrasound showed the same things. My son had hydrocephalus which is too much spinal fluid on the brain. He also had a heart condition and a club foot. The doctors wanted to do an amnio right away to see if it was a genetic problem. It wasn't. They asked if I wanted to abort, and I said no. This is my son and God gave him to me for a reason. So it was a long and stressful pregnancy.

Then they did one more ultrasound and found that his head was very large so they scheduled a c-section for the following week. I had my son on July 16, 2009. He weighed 6 pounds 8 oz and was 19 inches long. His name is Jeremy Tyler. After he was born they transferred him to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh. When he was 4 days old they put a VP shunt in his head to drain the fluid. After that he finally learned to eat and he came home. It was wonderful having him home.

In November he went back to have his open heart surgery. That part went well but then the day after they found his shunt wasn't working so they had to remove it from his belly and pulled it out at his collar bone to drain on the outside. They would put it back in later. The next day he wasn't acting right and I kept telling anyone that would listen that there was something wrong and no one would listen. A parent knows their kids. So they finally listened and found that during the surgery he had a stroke and there was too much pressure. They had to take him back to the OR and remove a piece of bone from the back of his head to relieve the pressure. This worked. But the next day they found he had an infection in his brain fluid and meningitis so they had to take him back to surgery and take the shunt completely out and put in a temporary one.

When they started feeding him, he would just throw up and he didn't feel good. They had left a piece of tubing in his belly so they took him back to the OR and removed that piece. During this they found that the piece wrapped around his intestine and killed off part of it so they had to remove a small piece of intestine. Now you would think that he went through enough. Well a week later, back to the OR again where they put the shunt back in. They then transferred him to the children's home while he finished his antibiotics and got back to eating. I am happy to say he is coming home tomorrow.

My baby will be home for Christmas. I am so excited. He is going to be one spoiled little boy. Anyway if your child has any problems and the doctors fight with you, stand up for your child. If I hadn't fought them and told them something was wrong, he never would have made it. Kids are strong and resilient. They can overcome some of the most difficult challenges. He still has to have his foot fixed but this will be done at a later date. My son will be five months old tomorrow and he is growing so fast.

I look forward to writing this parenting journal and let you know how I am handling being a mother of a special needs baby. Thank you for reading and God Bless.


Copyright © 2010 Kelly M. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner