Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Lauara's Pregnancy Journal

Week 25
~ Gestational Diabetes Test

This week hasn't really brought anything new and exciting. No doctor's appointments, no big changes.

The only things that really happened was that I took my one-hour glucose test for Gestational Diabetes. When I took this test when I was pregnant with the twins, I failed it. So I ended up having to take the three-hour test. So I was a bit nervous this time. My doctor does not have you fast for the one-hour test but instead tells you to eat a high protein breakfast. I did as I was told. The labs here that do the test are only a walk-in basis so you can't make appointments. I was hoping that if I got there in the morning it wouldn't be too crowded. Well, of course, it still was. I ended up waiting almost a half hour just to be called to check in. They gave me my orange drink and told me to drink it within five minutes. Then the clock began ticking. I had to sit and wait an hour for my blood draw. Good thing I brought a book.

I DO NOT like having my blood drawn at all. Not that anyone enjoys it, but for me it's usually a miserable thing. I have horrible veins and it almost always takes at least three sticks before they get a vein they can draw from. Many times they need to use a butterfly needle on me and on occasion even a syringe to draw the blood out. So, I never like having it done. Many times I've even gone through two or three techs before someone finally gets it. Obviously these tests have to be done, so I end up sitting there like a human pin cushion because I don't want to have to come back to do it again.

Well, this day, I got lucky! This guy was a pro. Not only did he get me on the very first stick but he was so smooth that I hardly felt the needle go in at all. AND, he didn't end up digging around in my arm because he missed the vein or it rolled. He got big kudos from me! I had to give him tons of praise and if I need to go back for more blood work, I'll be seeing him! I was quite impressed to say the least. I wonder if I could request him to come to the hospital to do my draw when I have my c-section???

On the home front, I have almost all of the baby's clothes washed and ready to go. My husband asked me if I was nesting already. I'm not sure if that's it or not. I never really nested with the twins. I think that was more because I just didn't have the energy to worry about it. Whatever it is, I am feeling good that I've gotten those tasks accomplished. Now I can enjoy the rest of summer vacation with my kiddos.

On a side note, I am happy to report (knock on wood) that I have yet to start swelling in this pregnancy. With the twins, I was very swollen by 18 weeks to the point I could no longer wear regular shoes, only flip-flops. This time I've had nothing. I can still wearing my regular shoes and my wedding ring. I can deal with the shoes, but I hate not being able to wear my ring. I'm hoping this continues and I stay swollen free. I was so miserable last time with it. I literally could not walk for more than five or ten minutes. This time, I'm feeling good. We are planning on taking the kids to Disneyland in a couple of weeks so I hope it holds up until at least after that trip.

Other than that, all is well. So, until next time . . . hugs and belly rubs!

~ Laura

Copyright © 2008 Laura. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner