Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Laura's Pregnancy Journal

Week 39
~ Birth Story!

Logan DanielLet me start off by saying that I never thought I'd actually make it to my "scheduled" c-section date. I, my husband, my family and even my doctor all thought that this baby would have arrived before now. I guess he wanted to prove us all wrong.

We had to arrive at the hospital on the morning of the 12th at 5am. My surgery was scheduled for 7:30am. My mom came over the night before to spend the night so that my husband and I could get up and go without having to disturb the kids. We had to leave the house at 4:15am and didn't see any reason to make everyone get up at that time if they didn't have to. The plan was to get to the hospital, get checked in and actually do the c-section and then once I was in my own room, have my mom bring the kiddos over to meet their new brother. It usually takes a couple of hours from the start of the c-section to the recovery time before they put you in your own room and during that time, the kids can't see me anyway, so no sense in making them hang around a hospital.

My hubby and I had a pretty restless night of sleep. I know for me, I don't think I slept more than maybe an hour or two. I just kept going round in my mind about what the morning was going to bring and wondering what my little boy was going to look like. I wasn't nervous per se for the actual surgery as this would be my third one, but I wasn't looking forward to getting the spinal done. I really don't like needles. But overall, I was just excited and anxious and a bit sad. I knew that after tomorrow, my life would be forever changed in several ways. Not only would I be a mom of four, but I also knew my childbearing years would be done forever. It was a rollercoaster of emotions that prevented me from getting me much sleep.

We arrived at the hospital right on time and got checked in. We finalized our paperwork and then headed over to the L & D triage. My husband had to wait out in the waiting room while I got my clothes changed and they asked me some questions (about being in abusive relationships etc.; apparently, they want to ask these types of questions in private) and then they had my husband come back with me. They got my IV hooked up, drew my blood for my c-sections labs and hooked me up to the "baby" monitors to keep track of contractions and baby's heartbeat. I didn't realize it all, but I was having some mild contractions every 5-10 minutes. The baby's heartbeat was great and it was wonderful to hear that sound one last time before I delivered. They finished up all the paperwork and the anesthesiologist came in to talk with me about the spinal. I've been through it before, so I was good to go. My doctor also came in and asked if I had any questions or concerns before they took me back. A few minutes later, I was on my way to the OR to give birth to my third son. It was a very surreal walk for sure. It was the last time I would ever take this walk again, and although I was very excited to meet Logan, I was also fighting back the tears. I gave my hubby a quick kiss, and entered into the operating room.

Once in the OR, they laid me on the table and got me situated. The anesthesiologist placed my spinal and then they laid me down. It was only a matter of a few minutes before that familiar feeling of numbness came over me. It's such a strange sensation that's for sure. I laid my arms out to my sides (I don't allow them to actually strap me down) and they put the curtain up (has to be away from my face) and then they let my husband in and he sat next to me. He grabbed my hand and asked if I was ok. A few minutes later I heard the doctor say to me that they had pinched me pretty hard and I didn't yell so they were ready to start. I left the triage right around 7:30 am and I believe the surgery started right about 7:45am.

As I lay there on the operating table, my husband and I were just kind of looking at each other, waiting. I could hear the doctor and nurses talking and I asked if I had a lot of scar tissue from my previous sections. My doc said it wasn't too bad and they were getting ready to cut through my uterus. She laughed because she said apparently the baby didn't want to come out yet as she could feel his little hand pushing against my uterus as if he was telling her to go away. We all got a little chuckle out of that. Just a few short moments later the doctor told us that the baby had lots of hair. I asked what color and she told me it was dark. Obviously his head was out and they were getting ready to deliver the rest of him. I had told my husband the night before that I hoped this baby had dark hair . . . guess I was right. A few moments later, we heard the best sound ever. The sound of our baby crying, and let me say, he had a great set of lungs! Logan Daniel was born at 7:55am on Monday April 12, 2010.

Logan DanielOnce he was out, they quickly showed us the baby before they took him over to get him cleaned up; he was a big boy and he did have lots of dark brown hair. Both my husband and I commented that he looked a lot like Dylan, our oldest son. We both were crying because he looked wonderful and healthy and my husband quietly said "good job mama" to me. They took him over to the warmer and my husband went and cut his cord. The nurse commented that he had a huge cord and my husband said it was hard to cut through. His apgar scores were 9 and 9, so he was doing wonderfully. He weighed in at 8 lbs 13oz. He was our biggest baby out of all the kids.

Since I was going to be in the OR for awhile longer getting my tubes tied and getting stitched up, I had my husband go with the baby to the nursery. As we have with all the kids, it's his job to stay with the baby while I get finished up. So off he went and my doctor proceeded to take care of me. I asked if there was ANY chance of a quick little tummy tuck while she was working, but she didn't go for it at all . . . bummer. All total, I think I was in the OR for another 30 minutes or so and then they took me to the recovery room. I would be there until I started to get some feeling back in my legs before they would admit me to my room. I was a bit bummed because when I had Ethan, they brought him to the recovery room so I could spend some time with him, but this time, I didn't get to see the baby until they wheeled me to my regular room; we picked him up on the way.

Once in my room, I got a chance to hold Logan and get a good look at him. He was absolutely beautiful and did look a lot like Dylan. He had a really nice even complexion and a head full of dark brown hair. He'd already had his first bath, so he smelled like a little bundle of fresh baby soap. I was in love.

Dylan, Kaylee and Ethan finally got to meet their new brother around 11:30am along with grandma and papa. Everyone got a chance to snuggle and hold him and get a good look at him.

For me, it was a bittersweet moment. I was so proud of the child that we just brought into this world. I was so happy that he was healthy and strong and beautiful. It was wonderful watching my kids and my parents meet our newest family member and to see my husband cuddle with his new son. Our family was officially complete. But, it also made me a bit sad too . . . because our family was indeed complete. We would forever be a family of 6 and I would never again experience a moment like this. We have officially moved onto the next phase of our lives.

I am, however, one very proud mama!

Week 38
Laura's Home Page
Pregnancy Guide Online

Copyright © 2010 Laura Z.. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner