Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Risa's Pregnancy Journal

Birth Story!
~ Meet Baby Siri!

Siri Faith

Tuesday night when I went to bed, I kept waking up every couple hours from contractions. Each time I woke up I had to go to the bathroom. The first time I remember thinking I had leaked urine and my underwear were a little damp, so not wanting to go upstairs (doing all of this in a half sleeping state) I just took my underwear off and left on my shorts. The next time I woke up I went to the bathroom again and my shorts were wet. I remember thinking "ugh, why can't I control my bladder!" So I took off my shorts and replaced them with a pair of underwear, this time with a little pad.

I got up that morning and started getting ready; Audrey and I had school that morning. My pad wasn't wet by any means but a little damp and I was still having contractions. Audrey and I went to school; her school is only 1 day a week and lasts for 1.5 hours. While we were there I was having some painful contractions. In fact at one point I took Audrey into the bathroom with me and told her we might need to go home. But then the contractions weren't so bad so we finished up at school.

By this point however, I was questioning if my leaking bladder was actually a leaking bladder or if I was leaking amniotic fluid. So I googled it, and it said if it is amniotic fluid it should smell sweet, so yes, I smelled my pad that I had on and sure enough it smelled sweet, not like urine at all. I called the Doctor's office and spoke with one of the nurses. She thought I was nuts, that my pad wasn't wet enough to be leaking amniotic fluid, but scheduled me to see a doctor that afternoon to check.

Siri FaithBobby and I grabbed the bag and car seat and headed to the hospital. When we got there the doctor did a strip test and said if it turns blue then it is amniotic fluid. Well it turned blue . . . sort of, not as dark as she was thinking it should so she sent a q-tip type thing down to the lab for analysis. She said it would take an hour for the test and in the meantime she wanted me hooked up to the monitor to see what my contractions were doing. She was pretty sure that it was just watery mucous that I was experiencing, but as long as I had to wait an hour they might as well monitor me.

So we were monitored . . . I was having contractions every 5 minutes. Then the nurse came back with the results of the test and told me that I had a ticket upstairs, it was in fact an amniotic leak and we were going to have a baby. She also apologized for thinking I was nuts when I originally called They determined that I had a high leak and it was just trickling very very slowly.

We went out to the car, grabbed the bag and headed upstairs. They hooked me up to a monitor to check on baby and contractions. After a few hours the doctor came back in, I wasn't progressing real fast and since my water had broken over 12 hours before the doctor decided I needed to be started on pitocin.

The nurse came in every 15 minutes and turned it up. Around 8pm the doctor came in to check me. I was only at 4cm and still moving very slowly, so I decided to get an epidural. Thank goodness I had decided that because after he checked me I was in excruciating pain. The anesthesiologist finally came in, but I was crying so much he asked the nurse to give me a shot (of pain medication that I can't remember what it was called) to help so that he could do the epidural. Once that was done I was feeling much better.

Audrey and SiriAfter an hour or so my heart rate started to drop with every contraction, I was cold and feeling really sleepy. They called the anesthesiologist back in to see what was going on. Apparently he had the epidural on a constant drip, which neither the nurses nor I knew. My nurse had told me to push the button every 20 minutes or so to make sure the medicine didn't wear off. Turns out I was getting wayyyy too much and that is what was causing my heart rate to drop. After that I only pushed the button maybe 3 times before I had her.

The doctor came back in to my room in the morning at about 4am and checked me. I was at 9cm. He came back about 15 minutes later and said we were going to do a practice push. After that practice push he said we were ready and they got the room ready to go. I pushed 2 times; less than 5 minutes and Siri Faith was born!

Siri Faith, October 31, 2012, 4:33 am. 7lbs 14oz, 19.5 inches

The doctors were great; I was able to go home the next day, my doctor knew I wanted to go home to be with Audrey. Being home has been great, it has its set of challenges, but for the most part I think I am handling it very well.

Until the next baby


Copyright © 2012 Risa C. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.