Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Robin's pregnancy journal

Week 34

I went to see my perinatologist today for a follow up Level II sonogram and the baby looks "okay" but there is a chance that there may be some problems. If you remember, every time I have a sonogram, I report that that femur bone seems to be smaller than average. Although it still fits into the "normal" range on the charts. Well, this time that was not the case. The femur is now off the charts, meaning the femur is small for gestation and could indicate a problem with growth. Basically, at this point in my pregnancy, her femur bone is gestationally correct for a baby in the 29th week, not the 34th week. The good news is that it seems to be growing, but the growth is getting slower and slower, less and less at each visit. My perinatologist explained to me that it "could" indicate a chromosomal disorder such as Down Syndrome or the like, but that it was unlikely. Nothing else in my sonogram however has ever indicated that we should be worried about this. He said that if I was earlier in the pregnancy, he may recommend having some chromosomal tests done to check for problems but since I am in my 34th week, he does not feel that I should go through all that so close to delivery. He feels that the "problem" so to speak could also be a result of measuring technique, user error, or anything like that. It could be "technical" as he called it. So, we are not going to do anything about it at this point, but I just pray that everything is ok with the baby. He said that when she is born, the pediatrician should check her out well and make sure that everything is ok. He does want to see me in two weeks for another sonogram to check on that growth again.

Other than that, the baby looked very healthy and scored an 8 out of 10 on the biophysical profile. The reason that she did not get a 10 is because they did not do a NST at this time, so they could not give me the 2 points for that. She weighs about 4 pounds now which only indicates a 1/2 pound gain in 2 weeks. That concerns me a little, but he said that it was nothing to be worried about. At this rate, since I deliver in 4 weeks, she will be a very small little girl at birth.

My amniotic fluid is just right and the placenta looks firmly attached to the wall of the uterus. He was however a bit concerned about my health. I am still spilling some protein in my urine at 1+ and my blood pressure has been consistent in the low 90's diastolically (bottom number). At this point, he says that I do indeed have the pre-eclampsia again and that it needs to be treated as such. He wanted to put me in the hospital for 24 hours to have some blood work done and another 24 hour urine test, but I convinced him that I could do that right at home. I also mentioned that I wanted to travel about 3 hours away tomorrow for a few days. He said I needed to talk to my OB about that. He was not sure that was wise, but I feel that if I relax while I am there it will be ok. I asked him about early delivery and he suggested that might be a wise idea, but that for now I should stick with my original date of the 22nd. I see my regular OB this afternoon and I am supposed to talk to him about all this. My perinatologist did say that I should NOT increase my Aldomet (blood pressure meds) unless my diastolic pressure is greater than 100 on a regular basis. I have an NST today as well so we can see how the baby is handling its environment.

After talking with my regular OB this afternoon, there is really nothing new to report. He agrees with my perinatologist that we may be dealing with the pre-eclampsia again, but then again, he thinks that the biggest thing might really be an underlying chronic hypertension and not the pre-eclampsia at all. Nevertheless, he feels that we should take things day by day and that we should just take things as they come. He feels that if I should deliver anytime soon, I will be able to deliver locally and not at the Regional Perinatal Center which has an NICU. He thinks that the chances of having problems such a respiratory distress and the such are about 10% at this point and feels that they could be handled in the special care nursery at my hospital if needed. So....we are taking things day by day and step by step. He feels that an early delivery is probably in order but we are taking that day by day as well. He says that after my sonogram with Dr. Dolkart on the 7th, we may decide to take her then. Stay tuned!

I still feel the same physically. I get tired more easily and have more trouble bending, but for the most part I feel good.

Ryan wanted to be cuddled tonight and so I rocked him to sleep. In a few weeks, I will not be able to do that as much. I felt a bit of apprehension today as I was rocking him and wondering if I am really ready to bring a second child into my life. Not that I have a choice, but sometimes I get scared and wonder how I will handle it. It was almost like I was mad at the baby for taking something away from Ryan. I don't know if anyone can relate to that, but it was a scary thought. When does the feeling of "how can I love another baby as much as I love Ryan" go away? It hasn't yet.

Copyright © 1997 Robin. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.