Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Shauna's Pregnancy Journal

Week 38 - November 28, 2006
~ Standing By

I really thought the baby might come this week, but he did not. In fact, things were pretty calm in there--I can hardly remember a single contraction the whole week. And although I didn't feel great, I was generally feeling better than I had for a while. I didn't even throw up most of the week. Thanksgiving dinner stayed down--amazing! I guess there was even more to be thankful for.

Paul took the kids to my brother's house on Sunday for the blessing of their new baby, and I had a quiet and peaceful day reading and resting at home. But by nighttime, I was in a lot of pain. I wasn't having contractions, exactly, but I was painfully tight and the baby was thrashing around inside, and I started vomiting again (over and over throughout the night). It was pretty horrible. I don't think I got more than an hour or two of sleep total. Nor could I find any comfort on Monday. Things had calmed down abdominally, but I still couldn't lie down or sit in any comfortable position. I just kept moving around, trying to at least get things ready and organized around the house. By the time Paul came home from work, my feet were swollen so badly that Paul thought my foot looked broken. He rubbed my neck, back and feet, and I was finally able to get a short rest. I went to bed by 8:00 pm that night and crashed out. When I woke up, I thought it was the middle of the night, but it was only 9:30 pm. I didn't get to sleep again until somewhere around 2:00 am.

The best news of the week came when I called my doctor's office to find out what time they had scheduled my c-section for this coming Friday. I had this terrible fear that they may have forgotten to schedule it, and that when I went in for my appointment and pre-op on Wednesday, they would tell me I would have to do it next week instead! Aargh! That would be my worst nightmare. I don't think I could bear it. The thing that keeps me going is knowing that it will all be over on Friday, one way or another. Well, when the nurse pulled the surgery schedule, she did indeed tell me that they couldn't fit me in on Friday (gasp), so they scheduled me on Thursday instead! A whole day earlier--hooray!! That's one less night time to suffer through. The surgery is scheduled for 7pm, and I'll find out all the details at my doctor's appointment tomorrow.

So now that I'm so close to the c-section time, I am terribly fearful of going into labor. I just want to make it until Thursday now. So everything is on stand-by. It is so close I can feel it, but I am still terrified of the whole experience. I hope everything goes well.

And on top of it all, I am not at peace about our name choices. This is starting to eat at me. Paul and I are going back over all the other names we have liked: George, Frank, Burton, Charles, and Walter among others. I just hope when we see this little guy's face, we'll know what his name is supposed to be. We didn't have this much difficulty with our adopted children's names. Maybe it's because he's a third child. I don't know.

Copyright © 2006 Shauna. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Original country clipart by Lisa