Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Staci's Pregnancy Journal

Week 39
~ Birth Story!

Madison Aileen
March 10, 2008
6 lbs 11 ounces

MadisonWell, wow, it's been a whirlwind! My mom got to town on the 8th. It was such a relief to have her here. We took it pretty easy over the weekend. Matt and I went on a date the Sunday night before the C-section. It was nice to get out of the house for dinner and a movie.

We got home about 11PM; we needed to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning but I was so wired I couldn't sleep. I sent out a few emails and packed up Henley's swimming lesson bag so that my mom wouldn't have to do that and wrote out driving directions to any place that I could think of so she wouldn't get lost. Then I went to bed and tried to fall asleep. It seemed like I was barely asleep when the alarm went off.

We got up at 4:30 got ready quickly and headed to the hospital. We got checked in, signed forms, etc. There was some trouble with my IV; it was resting against a nerve and it was excruciating. It took over an hour to get it in so that it wasn't killing me. There wasn't anyone else on the floor so it was quiet. We had the same anesthesiologist, Dr. P. that we had with Henley. We really liked her then and she was great this time around as well. She came in and explained everything and told us that we would be heading back in a few minutes and would be right on schedule. We were both so excited. We ended up being delayed about an hour as several folks came in to the hospital in labor and more nurses had to be called in and Dr. P had to do some epidurals. It was probably the longest hour of my life! We tried to watch some TV to pass the time; eventually I fell asleep and got in a catnap.

birthWe headed to the operating room at about 8:30. I was walking down the hall just as my mom and Henley were headed in to see us so I got a big Henley hug. He was a little overwhelmed and I think he needed a hug just as much as I did.

The spinal went in pretty quickly and the nurses went to work prepping me. There were several nurses being trained that morning so everything took a lot longer than normal. At one point the doctor bent down and told me that she was impressed with my patience! (It's not like I could do anything; I was paralyzed and lying on a table!)

With Henley the C-section was an emergency and the whole situation was scary. This was so different. Everyone was moving slowly and taking their time, the mood in the room was happy. We were all guessing what her birth weight would be - all the guesses were high 7 pounds to lower 8 pounds. As Dr. B worked her head out Dr. P said that she wanted to change her guess because, 'that head doesn't belong to an 8 pounder'. When they held her up I was totally shocked by her size - she was tiny! Especially compared to Henley, who was 8 pounds, 15 ounces. She was very alert and had a pretty pouty look on her face. Once they went to work on her she really screamed and went from pouting to irate! Matt went back with her for her bath while they were closing me up. Everything went really well. They called back to the OR to give us her weight: 6 pounds 11 ounces, 20 inches long. I couldn't believe I had such a little girl!

Henley and MadisonOnce we were back in the room I had a little trouble with pain management and it took awhile to get my heart rate and blood pressure down. After we got past that we settled in pretty quickly. I tried to breastfeed her right away but she was far more interested in sleeping. She didn't really eat for the first day. We spent about an hour with the lactation consultant and worked on her latch. She got it all figured out and has been doing great. We left the hospital after two days. It's just nearly impossible to get any rest there - too many people coming in and out of the room. I felt much better at home.

It was a long pregnancy and having GD and being on and off bed rest was so exhausting but holding our little girl made it worth every minute and then watching Henley meet his little sister was the icing on the cake.

We've been at home three weeks now and are getting settled into the routine. Henley still loves his little sister and runs to sing to her any time she starts to cry. It's adorable! I don't think that our family is complete yet but I'm in awe of the two amazing kids that we have so far!

~ Staci

Copyright © 2007-08 Staci. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner