Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Stacie's Pregnancy Journal

Week 30
~ Here We Go Again

This week started out pretty mundanely but the end of the week has been anything but. Early in the week I did my normal stay at home mom thing, taking care of Hannah and the house and such. Friday was another beautiful day and my mother-in-law had the afternoon off work so Hannah and I invited her to go to the zoo with us. We had gone to the zoo Tuesday with my father-in-law and his wife so I thought it was only fair that my mother-in-law get the same experience with Hannah.

We had a great time. Hannah was so energetic and talkative. She shouted out the names of all the animals we saw when we were by their cages. She absolutely loved the Lemurs. They were chasing each other around and she was giggling this deep, loud belly laugh. When we saw a horse eating she kept yelling "fwessie" (horsie) and trying to neigh. It sounded more like "wee, wee" but it didn't matter, she was having a ball.

On Saturday Sean had to work so I was going to spend the day cleaning the house. I wanted to work on laundry and sorting out some of Hannah's unused toys and vacuuming and mopping but while I was in the basement sorting laundry I did something to my back. I'm not sure exactly what I did but when I tried to stand up straight, I couldn't. I looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I was a little worried because the pain I was experiencing wasn't in the same place as my pinched nerve had been. So I decided that I had better take it easy and rest. Sean took Hannah to his dad's house and my in-laws watched her. I spent the whole day sitting and laying around watching movies and talking on the phone, just resting. By the afternoon I felt much better, not 100 percent but much better.

Monday I had my 3 hour glucose test. It was more like a 3.5 hour test with the initial waiting time to get in and having to sit there after the test to make sure I was okay to drive. I brought my cross stitch project to work on and a portable DVD player. I'm sure a lot of people in the office wondered what the heck I was doing there with a movie and a craft project but it sure made the time go by quickly for me. I had to follow a special diet for 3 days prior to the test, then I had to fast for 12 hours before my appointment. When I got to the OB's office I had a blood draw, then I had to drink a bottle of the glucose solution. Then I had to have 3 more blood draws after that, waiting an hour between each draw. After the test I went and got some lunch and then picked up Hannah. We went home and both of us had a long nap. It will take 5 business days to get the results back. If I don't hear anything by Tuesday I'm supposed to assume the test came out fine. I've decided not to assume anything about the glucose test anymore. I'll be asking about my results when I am there Thursday for my ultrasound and OB appointment.

Hannah has been sleeping pretty well at night but on Monday night she woke up screaming. Usually if she wakes up she cries a little and calls out for me. When I heard her screaming at the top of her lungs in an almost hysterical state at 4:30 in the morning, I knew something was wrong and she wasn't going to soothe herself back to sleep. I went to her room and rubbed her back and put on her music. She calmed down after just a few minutes and laid back down to sleep. I sat in her rocking chair, as I usually do, to keep her company until she fell asleep. As soon as I sat down in the chair I knew there was something wrong with my back. I don't know if it was the leaning over at Hannah's crib or the *ahemm* activities Sean and I had done together before going to bed but I knew my back didn't feel right and I was in more pain sitting in the chair than I had been in since Saturday.

After Hannah was asleep I went back to our room and did the physical therapy exercises I was given. I made sure that I slept with my pillow between my legs and only 1 pillow under my head, as I had been taught to do and I just prayed that in the morning I would feel better. Nope! I woke up in more pain in the morning than I had been in that night. As the morning progressed it just got worse. I couldn't stand up straight, I could barely even walk. I called the doctor who had been treating me for my back, she was out all day so I decided to take matters into my own hands, kind of. Earlier at my appointments with the specialist, we had discussed trying chiropractic care if the physical therapy didn't work. So I made an appointment with a chiropractor that a friend had been recommending to me for over a year. The doctor was able to get me in that afternoon. I didn't waste any time, I got Hannah dressed and shipped her off to my in-law's house again and spent the morning resting until my chiropractic appointment.

The chiropractor said that it looks like I have another pinched nerve, this time in my right side. He also said that I am having some problems because of the loose joints that go along with pregnancy. He did some ice and heat therapy on my back and gave me an adjustment. He sent me home with a cold pack and orders to do some more ice and heat therapy. I've got to go back on Wednesday and see him again. I am already feeling a little better. I still have the pain in the right side of my back but I am able to stand up straight and walk with much less pain.

The doctor assured me that by the end of the week I will be feeling back to my normal, pregnant self. That's a good thing because we are leaving on Friday morning to spend the Easter weekend with my family. I am almost at the point where I will longer be allowed to travel and I don't want to miss out on the last opportunity I may have to see my family before the baby arrives. In the mean time Sean is trying to do the laundry and the house cleaning. We have no food in the house because I was supposed to go grocery shopping on Tuesday and couldn't because I hurt myself. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I heal quickly and can find the time and energy to clean, do laundry and pack our clothes by Friday morning.

- Stacie

Copyright © 2006-07 Stacie. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Country Graphics by Camille