Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Stacie's Pregnancy Journal

Week 39
~ Due Date - HA!

Today is my due date. I should know by now that it doesn't mean anything. It certainly didn't with Hannah, she was 9 days late. But after my OB appointment 2 and a half weeks ago I really thought I'd be home with our new baby by now. But at least I've learned a few things.

I have learned 1.) Don't listen to your doctor when he/she makes predictions about when the baby will arrive. The baby will take its own sweet time and arrive when it's ready. 2.) Trust your instincts. This one I have not been so good on. I suppose some of it goes with putting so much faith in the doctor's prediction but the rest of it is going with what I WANTED (a May baby, born on a weekend so my family could be there) rather than letting nature take it's course.

At this point, I have decided that there is nothing I can do to make the baby come. There is no way for me to know when I'll go into labor, whether my water will break or I will have contractions that signal the start. And hardest of all is that there is no way for me to know if my mom will be able to be here for the birth of our baby. Having my mom here is very important to me. We're very close and she is an important part of my life. She's more than my mom, she's my friend and I really want her to be here to share in the birth of her grandson.

So here's my 39th week of pregnancy, in review . . . On Monday, Labor Day, I wasn't in labor at all. In fact, I was at a parade and a carnival. We went to the local Memorial Day parade and carnival at the park a couple of miles from our house. Hannah had a wonderful time and she loved watching the marching band in the parade. She did a lot of clapping and waving at passersby and even saw a couple of familiar faces in the crowd (our neighbor kids were marching in the parade with their scout troups). We tried to win a fish at the carnival but were unsuccessful. Hannah did go "fishing" in the duck pond and won a miniature slinky. After the carnival we went to Sean's dad and step-mother's house for a family BBQ. It wasn't the kind of day I expected but it was relaxing and a lot of fun.

On Wednesday I had another OB appointment. My blood pressure was still up and I still had protein in my urine. I also had a lot of swelling and discoloration in my feet and legs. My doctor gave me the option of going in that day for an induction or waiting it out and coming back to the office on Monday. Obviously I didn't go in for the induction. I had considered it but since there was no immediate need for the baby to be born, I decided to wait and let him tell us when he was ready. My biggest concern was that I would go in for the induction and end up having to have a c-section because I just was not making any progress. I really want to avoid a c-section because I know the recovery can be very difficult. If I have to have one, fine, I'll manage but I am certainly not going to do anything to make a c-section more likely.

The rest of the week I just took it easy. I tried to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and I kept off my feet and tried to relax as much as possible. It seems to have worked because at my appointment today my blood pressure was down and there were no signs of protein in my urine. I am scheduled for a non-stress test and OB appointment on Friday. Until then, we wait.

- Stacie

Copyright © 2006-07 Stacie. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Country Graphics by Camille