Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Stacie's Pregnancy Journal

Week 18
~ The Big Ultrasound

This was such an action packed week! I almost don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll just break things down daily, starting with Sunday.

On Sunday we had our big church Christmas show put on by the Sunday School classes. Hannah was a singing sheep in the show and she was very excited. Sean hadn't been feeling well so he stayed home. It was a very long morning. The kids and I got to church at 8:45 and we didn't leave until it was almost noon. So the rest of the day we just relaxed and hung out at home.

On Monday Sean finally decided he needed to see a doctor so he made an afternoon appointment with our family doctor. I insisted on driving him because he seemed so tired and unfocused that I was worried about whether or not he would actually be able to make it there and back in one piece. The kids and I waited in the car while Sean went to the doctor. Daniel napped the whole time and Hannah watched a movie. We were only there for about 40 minutes so it wasn't too bad. Sean, on the other hand, was in much worse shape than I had thought. It turned out that he had Strep Throat, the Flu and Shingles. He was put on several different medications and strict orders to rest.

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty quiet. Sean stayed home from work both days and we only had preschool on Wednesday so we were all home together until Thursday. I took advantage of Sean's sick days and did some Christmas shopping during Daniel's nap time on Tuesday and Wednesday. Daniel naps for three hours every afternoon so I actually got quite a bit accomplished.

Thursday was a very busy day for all of us. Sean had work and the kids and I had dance class in the morning and I had an OB appointment and ultrasound in the afternoon. Hannah's dance class did a little "Christmas Recital" and reception during the second half of the class. Daniel and I were able to be there but Sean had to be at work. The recital was cute, not a huge production but the girls dressed up as angels and did some dancing and singing. After dance class the kids and I went home for lunch and then we met Sean for my appointment.

The first thing I had to do when I got to my OB appointment was take the GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test). The GTT is given to check for Gestational Diabetes. It involves drinking a bottle of glucose solution and having your blood drawn after 1 hour. Usually the test is given around 26 weeks but with both of my previous pregnancies I failed the 1 hour test and had to do the 3 hour test. So this time around my doctors wanted to get me checked early. I have never liked the GTT but having to do it AFTER drinking 28 ozs. of water for the ultrasound was miserable. I had to pee so badly I wasn't sure I could make it through the whole exam.

The ultrasound went okay, other than the having to pee thing. Hannah was very excited and a little bit concerned that I was getting hurt. Daniel fell asleep. The technician did not get all the pictures she needed so I have to go back in two weeks for another ultrasound. We did not find out the gender. The technician wrote the gender on a slip of paper and put it into an envelope for us to look at later if we wanted to. I gave the envelope to Sean and told him to look if he wanted to but do not tell me what the gender is. We found out the gender of both Hannah and Daniel when I was pregnant with them. This time I want to know what it's like to be surprised until the birth. We already have a gender neutral nursery put together and we have enough summer clothes in both genders to get by for a while. So to me there is really no reason to find out.

On Friday Hannah had her holiday party and book exchange at preschool. The whole family was invited for a singing program and snacks. Hannah and I made rice krispy treats and corn flake wreaths to share for snack. She was so proud of her treat. At snack time Hannah went around the room asking everyone if they liked their treats and boasting about how she made them all by herself with her mom. Daniel had a great time and we practicly had to drag him out of the room when the party was over.

Saturday was a pretty quiet day for the most part. Sean spent the day napping and resting. He was feeling a lot better but it still took a lot out of him to be at work for the remainder of the week. I spent most of the day cleaning and rearranging furniture so we could put our Christmas tree up. It's still not done yet! With Sean being sick and unable to help I've put Christmas decorating on the back burner. The kids, especially Hannah, are starting to worry about whether or not we really will have a tree or if we'll have to use an end table to pile presents on.

Saturday night Sean took Hannah out to see a live performance of The Nutcracker. I got to take Hannah to her first performance last year. She had a fantastic time and has talked about it constantly for the past year. Sean had mentioned that he felt a bit left out and regretted that he wasn't able to take her last year so this year I insisted that they go together. I stayed home with Daniel and let Sean have a Daddy/Daughter evening with Hannah. They had a fantastic time! Hannah has done nothing but dance and act out the ballet ever since.

Well, next week is Christmas. I am pretty much done with my shopping. I have barely started my wrapping and I am crossing my fingers that I can make the time to get the tree up before Christmas Eve.

Copyright © 2010 Stacie. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner