1. Strive to be the best of the best. You will not be the best at everything you do, but do not let that stop you from trying.
2. Make good choices.
3. Your family is important. Be a good brother, be a good sister. Love and protect each other, and keep each other safe. At the end of the day, your family is always there for you.
4. Sit up straight.
5. Every day, take a deep breath and be grateful for your life. We live in a democracy and enjoy freedoms that many other people in this world do not have. Don't waste it. Make the most of it.
6. Honesty and integrity are integral parts of who you are. I've raised you to have a conscience. Always do the right thing.
7. Clean up after yourself. Our house does not have a maid service.
8. Life is not always fair. People can be shady characters. Deal with it, with grace, and with your head held high.
9. Respect your elders. Respect the cashier at the grocery store. Respect the guy driving the garbage truck. Respect the fast food worker. You are no better than anyone.
10. Say "yes" not "yeah" or "yup."
11. Exercise. It is not just good for the body, it's good for the soul. You've got one body in this life, take good care of it.
12. When you shake hands with someone, look him or her in the eye and have a firm grip. And smile. It's infectious.
13. Eat your vegetables.
14. Never face a flushing toilet. Unless the lid is down.
15. Losing really does suck, but it is part of life. Lose gracefully, and win gracefully.
16. There is nothing in this world that you can't do, if you set your mind to it.
17. Go to church every week, and say your prayers every day. Always have time for God. He always has time for you.
18. Always let me kiss you and hug you in public. I promise to be discreet, but if you push me away, I will embarrass you.
19. When I tell you to do something, do it.
20. Mind your manners. Always.
21. Make your bed every day. It is nice to crawl into a neat bed each night.
22. Take responsibility for your actions. You will do great things, and you will do stupid things. When you do something great, display humility. When you do something stupid (and you will), own up to it and make it right. And learn from your actions.
23. You will not always see eye-to-eye with other people. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree and honor the perspectives of other people.
24. Someday, we are each going to die. We will be torn apart, and life will go on. Someday, we will be together again. Believe it.
25. Know that you are loved and will always be loved. I love you so much that I will protect you with my life. I will do anything for you, even things that make you angry, if they are for your own good. I will always be here for you.