Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Stephanie's Trying to Conceive Journal

Entry 1
~ A Very Busy Week

Last Saturday my older son, Jeffery, and I flew to Wisconsin to visit my parents. Owen spent the week with my mother-in-law (about 2 hours from my house) and Sim stayed home to work and complete an extensive honey-do list.

Jeffery and I had a great time. It started out a bit rocky with our flight into Chicago. The plane was supposed to take off at 4:48pm. We boarded at 4:15 as scheduled, taxied onto the runway, and then we sat. For over 3 hours. There had been thunderstorms in Chicago and therefore all incoming flights were delayed, and the pilot didn't want to take us back to the airport because we would lose our place in line. It makes sense, but it was pretty unpleasant. We did end up going back to the airport for an hour, and then got back on the plane again and flew to Chicago. However, by that point we had missed our connecting flight, and all others for the remainder of the night, into Wisconsin. This meant that my 5 year old and I slept on the floor of the Chicago airport. This was a little more unpleasant, but we survived and arrived at my parents' house safely.

My dad took the week off from work and we packed as many activities in as we could. We went to an amusement park (Bay Beach Park . . . it's wonderful, and the rides only cost 25-50 cents each, no admission fee), the zoo, a baseball game and played miniature golf. It was so much fun. My mom and I took a jewelry making class together. It was really nice to be able to share in an activity we both enjoy. The highlight of Jeffery's trip was getting his grandpa to ride the Ferris wheel with him. Oh, and we went to a Japanese steakhouse where they cook right in front of you; he loved the onion volcano. Jeff did have a small incident on the 4th of July with a sparkler. He was over-twirling it and a spark landed on his hair, burning a little bit of his hair. His head is fine, but he has no hair in a spot about the size of a nickel. A little scary, but all in all we had just the best time.

We came back on Saturday, July 5th, so we could be back in time for Owen's 3rd birthday on the 6th. I missed him terribly while we were gone and was thrilled to see him again. Jeffery was too. My kids are a little unusual in that they get along very well. I can't imagine one without the other. While we were gone he started referring to himself in the third person. It's currently cute, but I'm sure it will get old soon. It was a bit hectic getting home at 8pm on Saturday and having people over for Owen's party at noon on Sunday, but we managed. My husband even completed almost everything on his list. Small miracles. I should say though, I have no stove. It has been removed and is sitting in my living room, with a large hole in my countertop. The vent fan portion had broken and he was supposed to repair it while we were gone, but a part needed to be ordered and long story short I have a cook top on my living room floor.

Owen had a great time at his party. He kept referring to it as his 'Christmas-Birthday Party.' I think he was just trying to combine all of his favorite things into one day. We had snacks, cake and homemade ice cream, topped off with a pinata that the kids completely annihilated. My house may never recover, but everyone was happy. And my baby is 3! I can hardly believe it.

On the pregnancy front, nothing yet. I feel a little weird saying this because I know we've been really lucky so far, but at two months of being off of birth control it has already taken longer than it's ever taken before. With Jeffery I was still on the pill when he was conceived. We were in the beginning stages of talking about having a baby. I didn't take the pill one day, and in my infinite ignorance decided to use a pregnancy test 5 minutes later. I had no idea they take the better part of a month to say if you are or not. Well, surprise, the test was positive! I went to the doctor and was 6 weeks pregnant the first time we hadn't used birth control. Crazy.

With Owen we took the 'not-trying-but-not-trying-not-to' approach. It took one week of being off of the pill. With these past experiences, I was thinking it would go about the same this time. Two months later, nothing. I know I am still incredibly lucky, but maybe this time we'll have to plan a little more. We're hoping to have a baby late Spring/early Summer, and we we're closing in on that quickly. In the meantime, I'll keep going through those pregnancy tests. I should really buy in bulk.

This has gotten much longer than I had planned on but it's been a very full week! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with their families!

~ Stephanie

Copyright © 2008 Stephanie. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner