Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Susan's Pregnancy Journal

Week 23
~ Summer Colds . . . No FUN

Hi all! This past week has been my absolute least favorite of being pregnant. I hate to say that, because all in all, I have LOVED being pregnant, but then I got a cold. Sunday night I had trouble sleeping, had drainage in my throat, and just couldn't get comfortable. I tossed and turned all night, and really got hardly any sleep. Of course, along with the sore throat, I was really thirsty, so I drank a lot of water, which in turn made me have to pee about 30 times that night. Maybe not really, but it felt that way!

So Monday was Labor Day, and thank God, I had the day off of work. I slept in as best I could, and finally decided to call the doctor, and see what, if anything, I could take to ease my symptoms. I am very prone to sinus infections, so I wanted to nip this cold in the bud, before it got worse. I called the doctor at 9 and by 1:30, I still hadn't heard back. I debated bothering them again, as I figured women in labor were much more important than my draining nose, but I was miserable, so I called back. The doctor on call returned my call almost immediately, and told me that I could take Sudafed, Actifed or Dimetapp. I raced directly to Wal-Mart, only to find out that they gave their pharmacists off for Labor Day, and you have to get Sudafed from a pharmacist. Needless to say, I found a local Pharmacy open, and got the goods. Went home took the doses like they said, and was up all night AGAIN!

Tuesday morning, I sounded like a frog. I decided at this point to go to the store and get some cough drops for my scratchy throat, along with some breakfast on my way to work. I got to work, and since I felt awful, I called my doctor, and asked if there was anything they could do. My doctor told me to start taking Mucinex, to help me to move out the congestion, since I had no fever, and just had it caught in my chest. I got some, and it immediately started to help! Yeah! I was so glad to cough, it wasn't even funny. Well, Tuesday night, I still didn't sleep well, had to practically sleep sitting up, but got more sleep than the night before, probably because I had so little the prior night. Wednesday I felt better, but still not great, and then Wednesday night was a disaster. I didn't sleep, and I felt even worse on Thursday. Turns out that this summer cold is going around town, as at least 5 people that I work with have the sniffles. Lucky for them though they aren't pregnant, and they can take cold medicine and get a good night's sleep.

Finally on Thursday I decided I had had enough, and called my OB back and told them I needed something to make me better, because I was too tired to even function. The doctor told me to keep taking the Mucinex, and he would prescribe some Tylenol with Codeine to help me sleep! YIPPEE! I was nervous about the effects of the codeine on the baby, but he assured me it was perfectly safe, and I was so excited to get a good night sleep, that I was willing to take it. I was relieved when a co-worker told me that she got pneumonia when she was pregnant, and the doctors gave her the same thing. Both of her kids are straight A students, so it is obvious that the codeine is safe.

I began to feel better on Friday and slept well both nights, with a little help. Last night I decided that I wouldn't take the medicine, and just try for a good night's sleep. After coughing for a good 3 to 4 hours, I gave in and slept pretty well for the rest of the night. The doctor said it acts as a cough suppressant, so until this cough is gone, I guess I'll take it. I go to the doctor tomorrow for my monthly check up so I'll make sure there isn't anything else I need to be doing to make myself better any faster. I guess it is just a lot harder to get well when you are pregnant.

The good side to all of this is the baby is doing great! Very active, and I can really feel him or her moving a LOT. Sometimes I think h/she is doing somersaults in my stomach! It is really neat, and a lot of fun. Time is really flying, and I know that delivery day will be here before we know it.

Oh! I almost forgot! We got the nursery done! We finally got all of the stuff out of the old office, and got the crib in and set up! I am so excited, and it really makes this whole adventure seem like it is coming together. We have another shower at the end of the month, and then one at the end of October and one at the beginning of November. We are truly blessed to have so many folks who care so much about us!

I'll update y'all next week on little P's progress. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that we didn't gain another 9 lbs last month . . .

Until next time,
~ Susan

Copyright © 2007 by Susan. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.