Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Tamira's pregnancy journal

Birth Story
~ Meet My Little Girl

VioletNo Room at the Inn

It was going to be perfect. We knew what day she would be born, the older children were where they needed to be, my bags were packed. All we had to do was get up at 5:00 a.m., call the hospital at 5:30 to make sure they had an available bed and get there by 6:00 a.m. The baby would then, according to my calculations be born no later than mid afternoon. My older children would be waiting anxiously with their grandmother in the waiting room for the arrival of their new baby sister. It would be perfect. Yeah right! When I called the hospital at 5:30 a.m. they informed me that there were no available beds at that time and that they would call me when they had room. Okay, a minor setback. No big deal, we'll just sit back and wait for the hospital to call us back. It shouldn't take longer than an hour or two right?

Wrong! At 11:30 a.m. my nerves were totaly shot. The hospital had not called yet. So I called back. They were still full. Would I get to have my baby today? My husband kept telling me to call my doctor, so finally I listened to him. Dr. C told me not to worry, that one way or another I would be having my baby today. He asked me if I had to deliver at the hospital I had chosen, or if I would be willing to go to the other local hospital. I told him that I could go to either one. He called me back at 12:30 and told me to go on over to the other hospital, that they were waiting for me. Praise the Lord!

VioletIntroduction to Induction

I have never been induced before and didn't really know what to expect. We checked into the hospital at about 1:00 p.m. and they started my first bag of fluids at about 2 p.m. I had to get that whole bag of fluids in before they would start my group b strep antibiotics. And then before they could start the Pitocin they had to wait for a whole bag of antibiotics to get in. So at about 3:30 or 4 my antibiotic bag was empty. Now, time for the Pitocin. Where was my nurse? We called for her and found out that she was assisting in another delivery and no other nurse was able to start my Pitocin. At about 5 p.m. she arrived and started my Pitocin drip. Now we wait.

An hour passes and nothing changes except that because of all of the fluids I am going pee every 15 minutes or so. She increased my Pitocin then and I start to feel small contractions about every 2 or 3 minutes, but they are no more painful than the Braxton Hicks that I have been having all along. I can still carry on a conversation and am still looking forward to seeing Lost on television at 9:00. However, by 8:00 Dancing with the Stars is on, but I am oblivious to it. My contractions are coming every 1 and a half to 2 minutes and I am struggling to get through them. They hurt so bad. I don't remember them being this painful with my girls.

Tamira and her daughtersWhen the doctor comes in to check me I am only at 3 cm. All of that pain and I have only progressed by 1 cm!! He then decides to go ahead and break my water in hopes to speed things along. Talk about pain. I don't know what he was doing in there, but whatever it was it hurt. The nurse then tells me that I can no longer get out of bed to go to the bathroom, that I will have to use the bedpan from here on out. How embarrassing! She also told me that whenever I am ready that I can have my epidural. It takes about 30 minutes to get there once she orders it, so let her know. Because I am only dilated to 3 cm I tried to wait a little longer because I don't want to slow this labor down. However, after another 20 minutes of agony I am pleading for my epidural.

When the anesthesiologist finally arrives I cannot imagine staying still while he inserts the epidural. The pain is so bad. The only thing that got me through it was that I wrapped my arms and legs around Gary and prayed the whole time. After about 10 minutes the contractions started to ease off until finally, blessed relief came and I no longer felt any pain. I told the anethesiologist that if I wasn't already married that I would propose to him. He said that was his third marriage proposal that day. At around 10:30 p.m. my family (my mother, father and step-mother, aunt Loave, and Brooke and Rachel) decided that they would go home and get some sleep. This then gives me a chance to get some rest before the blessed event.

Daddy and DaughterAt 12:30 a.m. the nurse checks me and I am ready to start pushing. Even with the epidural I can still feel a lot of pressure down there with each contraction. Kind of like I need to have a bowel movement. (I know, TMI). I only had to push for about 10 minutes before our precious baby girl was born.

Meet our baby girl

At 12:51 a.m. on October 19th Violet Rose Posey was born. She weighed 8 lbs. and 14 oz. She has a head full of brown hair and beautiful brown eyes. She looks exactly like her big sister Rachel did when she was born. She nursed right when I put her to my breast. My nipples got pretty sore by the second day, but I stuck with it and that went away by about the fifth day. She eats about every two hours faithfully except at night she only gets up at 2 and 5 a.m.

Although this birth did not go quite how "we planned" it, it was still perfect. We have a perfect baby girl and two wonderful older girls.

I have truly enjoyed writing this journal and will miss it now that it is over. Thanks for all of the encouragement that I have received through emails. Good luck to all of the other mothers to be who are awaiting their precious babies. God Bless!

Welcome to the world Baby Violet!

Copyright © 2006 Tamira. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner