Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site

Tamira's Pregnancy Journal

Birth Story
~ Meet Elijah . . .

Baby ElijahWell, as I said in my last journal entry, Friday, November 21st was D-day. I called the hospital at 5:45 a.m., sure that they wouldn't have a bed available, as had happened with Violet. However, to my shock and excitement they told me to come on in. So, I called my mom, who was my ride to the hospital because Gary had not made it home yet. So with her on the way, I then called my mother-in-law to come and stay with the girls. I took a quick shower and packed up a few last minute essentials and was on my way.

We arrived at the hospital at about 6:45 a.m. I went on up and they admitted me right away. No time was wasted in getting me undressed and into a hospital gown and into bed. When my first nurse came in to get my antibiotic and pitocin going, I must admit that I was nervous. I don't know if I have ever made mention of the fact that I am a true germaphobe in this journal before, but I am, and this nurse, nice as she was, was infected with a cold of some sort. The more she sniffled, the more I cringed. I could just see me getting sick the day after I deliver. But, as luck would have it, she had to leave and I got a new, healthy nurse. Hooray!

Rachel and Baby BrotherGary arrived at the hospital around 8:00 a.m. I still wasn't having any contractions at that point. Those started around 9:00 or so. They never really got overly painful before the nurse went ahead and ordered my epidural. At that point I was dilated to a 3 and only 50% effaced, the same as the day before. When the anesthesiologist began to give me my epidural, I accidentally jerked, and scared everyone half to death. I especially must have scared Gary to death because he became nauseous and pale. The nurse had him sit down and brought him some orange juice. I couldn't believe that on his third birth, and just at the epidural, my husband almost fainted. I remember when I was pregnant with Rachel he was so sure that he was going to pass out, and came through it with flying colors. He had no worries when I had Violet and did great. But with this one he almost didn't make it. I guess we can blame it on the fact that he hadn't slept all night long due to driving to get home.

Brooke and Baby BrotherAfter that I was able to rest until Dr. C got there at about 1:30 p.m. He checked me and I was still only dilated to a 3. He then broke my water and pushed on my stomach to try to get the baby to move down farther into the birth canal.

The nurse checked me again around 4:15 and I had finally progressed to 6 cm. She said that it wouldn’t be long after that, and she was right. They immediately started bringing in the equipment that would be needed for the delivery and got it all set up. I was starting to feel a lot of pressure down there and was scared that the epidural was wearing off. However, the pressure was because I was completely dilated and ready to push. Dr. C came in at about 4:40 p.m. and barely had time to get his gloves on before the baby's head was out. I only had to push two times before my precious baby boy was born at 4:49 p.m. He weighed 9 lbs even. His name is Elijah Earl, Earl after my dad, and he is the most precious boy. I was worried that I wouldn't feel a connection to him because he was a boy (dumb I know), but I did immediately. His cry even sounded like a boy.

Brooke, Tamira, Elijah and RachelI attempted nursing him right away, but he wasn't too interested at first. He is a pro at it now at three weeks old, and is eating every two hours during the day, and already at night is only waking me up one time to eat.

I guess the only sad part that I have never had to experience before with girls was his circumcision. I just felt so sad for him every time I changed his diaper. For the most part it didn't seem to bother him unless you accidentally touched it or had to clean it. Thankfully that was totally healed after a week.

Brooke and Rachel are totally in love with him and constantly fussing over whose turn it is to hold him. Violet seems to enjoy him too. She loves to hold "baby brother." Thanks to her, we all call him "baby brother" now.

Well, I am so happy to have my baby son to hold in my arms. It is definitely a challenge having two little ones two years apart with Gary gone so much, but we are managing quite well so far. Thanks for all of the prayers and emails that I have received during this journal. I hope everyone else has safe and happy deliveries!
~ Tamira

Elijah Earl
Tamira, Violet and ElijahGary and Elijah

Copyright © 2008 Tamira. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.