Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Tanisha's Pregnancy Journal

Birth Story
~ Meet Gabriella Ann

Gabriella Ann was born on Friday March 27, 2009 at 7:29 am. Everything happened so fast! Many of my co-workers and friends have told me repeatedly throughout the last two weeks before Gabi arrived that I looked so miserable and yes, I felt miserable about 80 percent of my pregnancy. I was worried about having difficulty during labor because I was tired and somewhat dehydrated during the week of the 27th.

Shower CakeOn Wednesday the 25th my co-workers surprised me with a beautiful cake along with a nice card, gift card, and a few outfits for baby. I was feeling really crappy earlier in the day and it was a nice surprise that afternoon. My co-workers didnít expect for me to even still be going to work. I mentioned that I planned to keep working until I had the baby.

On Thursday the 26th I went to work and again I was feeling crappy, tired, and thirsty. I worked half a day that day and went to my doctorís appointment in the afternoon. At this appointment I was dilated 3 cm and was 80 percent effaced. The doctor and I knew the baby could come any day now; I just wasnít expecting the next day (lol). I went home from the doctorís thinking about the possibility of being induced. Well, that of course didnít happen. I thought I was going to work and to the grocery store on Friday but baby had other plans.

I have been drinking more water and with baby being so low in my pelvis I had plenty of trips to the bathroom. At 1:00 am Friday March 27th this trip to the bathroom was out of the ordinary. I woke up with what I thought was a Braxton Hicks contraction since my bladder was full. I used the bathroom but the contraction didnít go away as easily but it felt more like false labor because it felt like menstrual cramps for like an hour. I would try to lie down but I couldnít get comfortable. By 2:00 am I was starting to have stronger contractions and had three bowel movements. These contractions were different from my first pregnancy because each lasted about a minute long and they were about 5 or 6 minutes apart. The pain was different--more mild than the sharp pains experienced during the first pregnancy.

We headed for the hospital by 2:30 am. Dad had to wake up Willie and of he knew where we were going and he seemed excited smiling here and there but I couldnít do much smiling at this point.

GabriellaWe arrived at the hospital at 3:00 am. Once I got admitted I got settled in bed and waited for my doctor to arrive. He was one of the doctors on site that morning so it was kind of funny to see him when he walked in. We just saw each other within the last 24 hours. One thing I like about my doctor is his humor and positive energy. He came in and asked how I was feeling and didnít waste anytime checking my cervix. I had dilated to 7 cm already and I just got to the hospital! I did request an epidural and since I was dilating so quickly I almost didnít get it.

Once I received it the contractions felt better but after 6:30 am, things started moving fast. By 7:00 am I was dilated to 9.5 cm and the doctor broke my water. I had about 3 or 4 rounds of pushing and at 7:29 am we heard a little cry from a baby who has a full head of black curly hair. Will and Willie were there coaching along with the doctor through babyís arrival. Dad was all smiles cutting her umbilical cord and I was watching all of the details in the mirror on the ceiling. From baby making her arrival to the delivery of the placenta and stitching of a few stitches it was an interesting and disgusting sight to see. I waited a few minutes anxiously as they cleaned her and did their tests to make sure she was okay. New Dad was happy to see his baby girl while watching the nurses and Willie was watching his cartoons on TV.

It was an overall good birthing experience. I delivered baby in the same room I recovered in so as soon as Gabriella was born I was able to relax and felt so much relief. I got to hold her for a few moments and her eyes were closed for awhile but she opened them up for dad. We snapped plenty of pics at the time but I was looking forward to our first family photo. It took Willie some time to warm up to Gabi. I think he was jealous at first but later warmed up.

GabriellaI thought about my mother the whole time and knew she would have been so happy to be a grandma again. She probably would have been jealous of Gabiís hair too (lol). Itís so curly, long, and silky. I was surprised to see she had so much hair with chubby cheeks and legs. Willie was pretty lean as a baby so to see fat on her was shocking.

Gabriella was 7 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long. A beautiful healthy baby girl became the fourth member of our family. I am still in shock just looking at her and her brother. I never thought I would have kids at all. I feel very blessed and fortunate to have had two healthy pregnancies and births. I hope Gabriella along with her brother are inspired by their birth stories when they get older. Mom and Dad look forward to spending time together as a family watching them and helping them grow each day.

Our message to Gabi from Mommy, Daddy, and big brother Willie is that we love you very much and are happy to have you in our family.

~ Tanisha

Copyright © 2009 Tanisha. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner