Home Page A StorkNet Family Network Site
Tshara's Pregnancy Journal

Week 27
~ A Day in the Life

My morning routine consists of the following: I wake up between 5:30 and 6:00 a.m. By this time my husband has already awakened and showered. At this point in my pregnancy, I find it extremely difficult to wake all of my children up every morning, because they are hard core sleepers, often requiring us to use physical strength to get them up. So the most important thing that my husband does for me every morning is to wake up the three school aged children (they are 5, 6, and 8). By the time I have slowly wobbled out of bed and brushed my teeth, washed my face, and gotten dressed (which takes forever), the kids are well under way in their morning routine. The school that my children attend this year requires uniforms, and although I am not a fan of uniforms, I am extremely grateful for them! I don’t think I could figure out different outfits each day for each child at this point.

By 6:30 a.m., my husband is usually walking out the door. He is a nurse and works 12 hour shifts daily that last from 7a.m. to 7p.m. This is where it gets scary because I am now alone with all four children, pregnant, and needing to get them to school and me to work. My children, for their young age, are extremely mature and helpful. After getting themselves dressed, and brushing teeth, etc., they begin to help me. My oldest, the eight year old, wakes up the baby (now 1 and a half). She changes her diaper and puts on the clothes and shoes that I have laid out for the baby. Meanwhile my six year old makes the baby her first bottle of the day. My five year old goes and gets my sandals and helps me put them on my feet. After eating cereal and combing hair, we are usually walking out of the door by 7:05 am (on army bases, school starts really early at around 7:30 am). The kids carry my laptop, work bag, and usually help me buckle the baby into her car seat.

By the time I drop the older three at school, then the baby at my mother’s house (thankfully), then commute about 25 to 30 minutes to work, it is about 8am. It takes me about ten minutes to unload my laptop, workbag, and wobble down to my classroom where I teach 6th grade English and 8th grade History. Most mornings my students will meet me in the hallway and help carry my materials to my classroom. By the time we do the Pledge of Allegiance, and I finally sit down, I have been “working” for three hours already, and am exhausted! Now I have to find a way to wobble through the rest of my day. Thank goodness I love kids, because this routine is not for the weak at heart!

~ Tshara

Copyright © 2008 Tshara. All rights reserved.
Site Design by StorkNet

Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome.

Amreta's Graphic Corner