• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Anastasia and Alex
Vaginal birth, no medication, small episiotomy

It all started one morning when I got up to go to work and decided to take a pregnancy test. I knew that I was going to be working with radioactive materials that day and since we were trying to become pregnant, I thought I would just see since Aunt Flo was two days late. I was sitting on the toilet and looked down through groggy eyes and saw two pink lines. I rubbed my eyes and jumped off the toilet with my pants down, grabbed the stick and ran into the bedroom where my husband was still sleeping. I was screaming the whole way and when I got in there he jumped up and threw off the covers. I yelled, "Oh my God, do you see two lines too?" He looked and sure enough there were two lines. He threw me down on the bed and then proceeded to hug and kiss me. Woohoo! We had been trying for two years. Later that day, after the confirmation of the blood test, he told me he thought the house was on fire that morning. That was November 6, 1998. Due date was July 11, 1999. Same birth date of my dear husband 26 years before!

My pregnancy was very uneventful. I loved being pregnant. I wanted so badly to show the world but didn't really show until 6.5 months along. I didn't have any morning sickness, aches, or pains. There was only one time that concerned me when I didn't feel the baby move. I went in for a non-stress test around eight months. Everything looked fine and it was even showing that I was having contractions. I didn't feel a thing. After that, everything was perfect. I went in for my weekly checkup on July 7 and my midwife checked me. I was only at one cm. I didn't really care because the pregnancy was so easy and I was also kind of scared about birth.

I lost my plug on July 9. It was a Friday and my dear husband, Aaron, was out mowing the lawn. At first I freaked and called my mom and she told me, being the calm Lamaze instructor that she is, that it was my mucous plug and nothing to worry about. So I went out and told him. He was like, "Ok."

The next day, July 10, I went shopping with my mother-in-law. After a walk down the block, we went into a store and my back really started to ache. I didn't think anything of it. My gosh, I was one day away from my due date. Well, the rest of the day went pretty smoothly. The backache came and went and that night we put the car seat in the car and got the bag that I packed about three months ago out. Like I said, my pregnancy was so easy. I also took a shower and shaved my legs, just in case. I never thought in a million years that I would deliver on Aaron's birthday, but as it turns out, I went to bed that night and woke up at around 2:30 am with some mild contractions. I wasn't comfortable in bed so I went out and sat on the couch and tried to relax. By 6:30 am, Sunday July 11, they were about five minutes apart but I didn't think they were lasting that long and they weren't at all what I expected. I expected this great horrible pain that everyone told me about. I didn't want to get up to the hospital with false labor as we live 30 miles away. Aaron came out and asked me how it was going. He was in the middle of irrigation season and he wanted to know if he had enough time to check his wells. I said probably so he got his clothes on but he didn't get out the door. I had a pretty good contraction where I about fell to the floor. We decided to get to the hospital. He called his dad and asked him to take care of the wells.

We arrived at the hospital, despite the high speed and potholes, around 7:15 am. I kept saying that they were going to turn us away. But the nurse, who when I first walked in felt my stomach through a contraction, said that I was definitely in labor. So up on the table I went. She checked me during a contraction, which really hurts by the way, and told me I was four to five cm. "Holy cow, this is it. No turning back," I thought.

After being monitored for what seemed like an eternity, I got up and got in the shower. That is where I began to lose it. I was so scared, but being the great husband that he is, Aaron assured me that everything was going to be okay I got out of the shower and we walked through the halls. This is where it starts to get hazy. I remember being on my hands and knees in the LDR and seeing my midwife walk in. Well there are two in the office, and the one that walked in was not the one I wanted! I panicked. She wanted to get me into the new bathtub designed for labor. No water births. I didn't really want to, so I didn't. It is so amazing how when you know what you want and you don't let people push you around, you get what you want. Later, when things got going, she wanted to break my waters and I asked her not to. She didn't.

Pretty soon it was time to start pushing. I used a squatting bar for some of the contractions. It had to look very funny going up and down. Towards the end, I just pushed on the table. I remember looking up and seeing everyone in masks and the hospital garb. I got scared again but Aaron was right next to me holding my hand. I am glad he wasn't wearing a mask. I pushed a few more times and I heard my midwife say to me to just relax and let her do some work. I had pushed our baby's head out and she was shifting him to get him to come out on the next contraction. Sure enough I pushed him out. She had to give me a little episiotomy because I was going to tear up instead of down. No biggie. Just two stitches and I didn't even feel any of that whole process.

It is so wonderful how the body is so natural in childbirth. Anyway, Aaron was sobbing, I was sobbing, and our new son, Alex Michael Paus was sobbing. Words cannot express that moment when you look into your newborn child's eyes. All I could think was I had won the ultimate prize. He weighed 7 lbs, 13 oz, and was 21.5 inches long, and to much amazement was born at 10:11 am July 11, 1999. Where was he hiding in my belly? He didn't really nurse right away, but he caught on and we are still happily nursing. Something I never thought would happen. Joy to the World, and Thanks be to God for my most precious gift. Hope He is as generous with future Paus'.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support