• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Heather and Avery
Epidural, 29 1/2 Hour Labor, Vaginal Delivery

My little "angel baby" was born on May 17, 1998. There is reasoning behind her name being "angel baby." On August 20, 1997, my baby brother, Justin, died as a result of an auto accident. Justin was my best friend and a wonderful young man. He was fifteen years old and a sophomore in high school. When I paid my last respects to my brother, I prayed to him. I asked him to send our family lots of love and strength to survive this horrible tragedy. Little did I know that he would be sending me a beautiful little girl. Avery Michele was born nine months after Justin's accident, thus calling her "angel baby."

When I found out that I was pregnant, I was very scared, but my family and friends assured me that this pregnancy was a very positive thing. The only reason I felt any negative feelings is because I was not married. So, life goes on, right? I had a wonderful pregnancy besides gaining so much weight(41 lbs!!!). My family, friends and Jake (Avery's daddy) were all very supportive throughout my pregnancy. I worked full time and never really had any problems. I was very lucky!!!

On May 15, I went to walk the mall with my Mom. On May 16 at 6:44 am, I felt my first contraction!! I immediately called my mom; I knew this was it!!! She told me to get my things together and to relax because I would have plenty of time to get to the hospital. So I decided to pack. After I finished packing, I got this sudden burst of energy. I cleaned my whole house, washed all of the clothes, showered and got ready. By the time I finished all of this, it was 11:00 a.m. I was still having contractions. They were getting harder and closer together. I decided to go to my Mom's (she only lives about two minutes away). When I got there, she started timing my contractions. They were two-four minutes apart and lasting about 50 seconds. We called the doctor at 12:00 p.m., and he said to call him back in an hour to see if there was any progress. When I called him back, he said to go to the hospital. I waited for Jake to get off of work and off we went to the hospital.

We got there at 1:30, and I was admitted. I don't remember much after that. I can just remember being soooo tired. I thought I would be able to have her naturally, but guess what? I couldn't do it. I had an epidural in the late evening. The epidural wasn't bad for me, but it was for Jake . . . he got really sick! The doctor came in around 11:30 a.m. Sunday morning and told me that I was ready to start pushing. Finally! I was so exhausted. I started pushing at 11:45 a.m. I asked the nurse how long would I have to push. She said, "Oh, about an hour." I didn't think that I could go on for that much longer - I was so tired. Well it didn't take an hour because at 12:10 p.m., Avery was born. I couldn't believe that she was finally here after 29 1/2 hours!!!! She was 5 lbs and 15 oz and 17 inches long; she was so tiny.

Avery is now four months and doing great. She weighs 11 1/2 lbs and is 26 inches long. It is so amazing to watch her grow and change right before my eyes. She is my one and only true joy. She has the most amazing blue eyes that remind me of my little brother.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support