• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Tarah and her baby Braxton
Breech Baby, C-Section Delivery

It has been almost 17 months since he was born and I am finally taking the time to write the story of his birth, or at least what I can remember of it. I remember finding out I was pregnant, it was so exciting! The thought of being pregnant consumed everything I did and thought. I was barely sick the first trimester and everything was fairly textbook. I worked full time and was busy getting ready for the arrival of this little one. When I had my second ultrasound my husband and I had both said we wanted a girl but I had a feeling that we were going to have a boy and then we found out that I was right. I went right out and began to shop for anything blue or with footballs on it.

Things continued to go well for about another month or so and then when I got up for work one morning I was having really bad back pain. I got in the shower and tried to lay down for awhile but it wouldn't let up so I decided I should just get up and get moving around and hopefully it would stop. I made it to work and was only there for a little while when I started getting cramps and I couldn't decide if I wanted to sit down or stand up because neither was making my back feel any better. I finally couldn't take it any more and thought it probably wasn't normal so I called my mother-in-law, who is a nurse, for advice. She told me that if I was feeling that bad that we shouldn't take any chances and that she was coming to take me to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital they made me change into a gown and get hooked up to all the monitors. The nurse had a hard time getting them to stay on because I was only 28 weeks pregnant and barely showing. Not to mention every time she got the monitor on the baby he kicked it off. On the monitor you could immediately begin to see the contractions coming. They weren't that painful but I wanted to cry because of the back pain. After about an hour of monitoring and seeing that the contractions were pretty regular and that the gallons of water they had made me drink weren't stopping them they decided to give me terbutaline. I called my husband who was on his way to the airport to go to the desert with the Marines that he may have to stay home but the medicine ended up working well and I was released a couple of hours later.

When I went in to my regular check up the doctor said that I looked really good but since I would still get mild contractions from time to time prescribed me some medication and recommended I take things easy. That is the way things went for the next couple of months. I went to the doctor for my 37 week check up and during the exam he told me that he didn't think he was feeling what he should be. He sent me to get an ultrasound and sure enough the baby was breech. On top of that he was wedged down in my pelvis. The doctor and I sat down and began to go over my options. He said that we could either try to turn the baby and then be induced or I could schedule a c-section at 39 weeks, although he said he didn't think I would go that long because I was dilated to about 2 and my water was bulging. After discussing the position of the baby and the chances of him turning I decided that a c-section would be the best way for us. He told me that we would schedule it after my next appointment and explained the risks of my water breaking with the baby being breech and I made the next week's appointment.

Well, I didn't make it. I was at home Wednesday night about 10:30pm on August 19 and my husband was at work when I started getting contractions. I just thought they would be like all the others and go away after awhile but instead they started getting more and more uncomfortable. I decided I would time them since they seemed to be coming close together. They were about 45 seconds long and 2-3 minutes apart and so I got up and started getting things cleaned up and making sure I had everything ready just in case. They kept getting stronger and closer together so I got into a hot shower hoping that it would help ease the pain. They weren't unbearable but I was starting to get uncomfortable. After my shower I laid down and started timing them again. Now they were about 90 seconds long and coming about every 30 to 45 seconds. I decided to call my husband and tell him that we needed to go to the hospital at about 1:30 am. The car ride over wasn't that bad and it had actually slowed the contractions to about 2 minutes apart which was nice. We got to the hospital about 2:00 am and I told the nurse I thought I was in labor and she gave me a very doubtful look and handed me a gown.

When I had gotten changed and hooked up to the monitors she checked me and told me I was 5 cm. I then managed to tell her that the baby was breech and after scolding me for not getting to the hospital sooner and what could have happened to the baby she went out to get an ultrasound machine for a last minute check. Still breech. Sometime during all of this my husband had managed to call a couple of family members but everything at this point was going really fast. I had gotten an IV, catheter, and had been shaved all before I realized what was going on. My husband had gone to change and I was told he would meet us in the operating room and then off we went. I had an amazing anesthesiologist who explained everything that was going on as he gave me the spinal and then afterwards as well.

I told my husband to tell me when they had started but they were already well into the surgery and I hadn't even known. I was surprised at all the pulling that I did feel though. It seemed like only minutes later my husband told me that he could see feet. They had gotten him most of the way out but his head got stuck a little so it took a little bit longer than the rest of him. Then he was there. I suddenly felt a lot of pain and the anesthesiologist gave me something to help and then I started throwing up. It only lasted a minute and then I could look over and see Braxton. He was screaming! He was throwing a fit! I didn't think that was possible but he was not giving the nurses an easy time cleaning him off and getting him wrapped up. After just a couple of minutes they brought him to my husband and let us hold him. They hadn't tied my hands so I could move some while they finished the surgery. They then let my husband and son go to the recovery room to wait on me. Once I got there and saw family I got to hold Braxton and nurse him. He was a pro and knew just what to do from the beginning.

All said and done, Charles Braxton Mims was born August 20, 2003 at 3:59 am weighing 6 lbs. 15 oz. And was 19.5 inches long. Everything since then has gone by incredibly fast and I am happy with my decision to have a c-section but now 14 weeks along with baby number 2 my doctor and I are discussing trying a VBAC. I really would like to have a "normal" birth experience but more than that I want a safe delivery and healthy baby.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support