• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Mandy and Caleb
Vaginal vacuum birth with epidural

My pregnancy was pretty much uneventful but it seemed so long. I kept measuring ahead at every appointment by at least two weeks & at my last appointment I was measuring FIVE WEEKS ahead! This terrified me because I just knew that I would have a huge baby and break all the records! I am as typical as most other pregnant women and I was just miserable. I had hoped at every doctor's appointment that they would want to induce me. I wanted the pregnancy to be over with so I could hold my little one in my arms.

My grandmother was turning 75 on September first and no one in the family had mentioned doing anything special for her, so I volunteered to have a party for her at my house. Everyone told me I was crazy for doing so but I did it anyway. I should have known something was going to happen when I spent over $100.00 on food for the party and was up until 5:00 a.m. that morning just cleaning away. I went as far as dusting our wood cabinets!

After I had worn myself out completely, I went on to bed and awoke at 9:17 to a big gush. I had just got up two hours before to use the restroom. I remember looking over at the clock and thinking that I knew my bladder couldn't have been that full already. Then another big gush came out and that's when I started getting excited! I yelled for my husband to come upstairs and by the time he got there I was out of bed and waddling into the restroom. Every step I took another gush would come out! He was so funny. He was just looking at me and I told him that it was "time" and he asked how I knew. I told him that my water had broken and he asked me if I was sure! He actually thought I was peeing on myself!

I called the midwife and let her know what was going on. I wasn't having any contractions at all and she said that I could wait a little while before coming to the hospital. I took a shower, curled my hair, put my make up on and called the family to let them know that the birthday party was not going to take place.

My husband and I got to the hospital around 11:30 a.m. with our bags in hand. We got checked in and settled into the labor and delivery room around noon. They hooked me up to the monitors could see that I wasn't having any contractions at all. They unhooked me from the monitors and wanted me to walk for about 45 minutes to see if that would get the contractions started. The walking didn't help.

I was given a pill at 2:00 p.m. to get the contractions started and by 2:45 I was in a lot of pain. At 3:30 I was given Stadol for the pain. It hurt so bad and I could not help but get upset at the nurses who told me that I was just having "mild" contractions. There was not a mild thing about it at all! From that point on everything was such a blur. I did get in the Jacuzzi for a little while and that took some of the intensity away and felt really nice. After I got out of the Jacuzzi I was checked and they found I was not progressing properly so they decided to start me on pitocin. Thankfully, the miracle man came in and started my epidural before they gave me the pitocin. I was terrified of having the epidural, but it was such a wonderful thing.

I don't really remember anything from that moment on. I remember waking up a few times to see my family all sitting around just waiting for me to have the baby. At one point I was wide-awake and was talking to my husband and his family. My husband was looking at the contraction monitor asking me if I was okay with a real worried look on his face. He said that the contraction that I was having was above one hundred. Thankfully I didn't feel a thing because of the epidural. The "mild" contractions earlier that had hurt so badly were in the thirties and forties!

They let me start pushing around 8:00 a.m. the next morning. My grandmother was a little disappointed because she had wanted the little stinker to be born on her birthday. Anytime someone said anything about being hungry I told them to just go over to our house because we had enough chicken for twenty people marinating in the refrigerator! I pushed for an hour and a half and wasn't really having any progress with it. We found out that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his shoulder and was acting like a bungee cord. I would push him down and the cord would pull him right back up. He also had his fist right up against the side of his face so that was a contributing factor as well.

They gave me another dose of the epidural around 9:45. My midwife decided that she was going to have to call the doctor in to use the vacuum to get the baby out. By this time I was actually thinking that I was going to starve to death. I was so hungry! After they gave me another dose for the epidural the blood pressure cuff went off every two minutes. After having that thing on my arm so long it just really annoyed me so I ripped it off and threw it down! I got in trouble for that and it was quickly put right back on my arm.

The doctor came in shortly after and they started setting everything up for the delivery. He explained the vacuum to me and just a few minutes after he started, Caleb Timothy arrived. He gave us quite a scare because he was very blue/purple and it took a total of one minute and twelve seconds for him to cry out. The doctor went to work suctioning and he cut the cord. Caleb was then taken to the warmer where he was given oxygen and cleaned up. He weighed in at eight pounds, four ounces and was 21 ¾ inches long.

The doctor spent about 45 minutes to an hour sewing me up and said that I ripped and tore as much as anyone possibly could. He said I had a "vaginal c-section" and that I would KNOW that I had delivered a baby! I can honestly say that he did not lie at all! It is six weeks later and I'm still trying to recuperate from the whole thing but all I have do is hold little Caleb in my arms and know that it was totally worth it!

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support