• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Jenny and Christina
Vaginal delivery, pitocin, epidural, vacuum

My little angel Christina Joy was born on Monday, April 2nd at 10:12 PM. She weighed in at 8 lbs. 1 oz. and was 19 1/2 inches long. Here are all the details of her birth.

We arrived at the hospital at 6:00am and they started my IV and Pitocin drip by 7:00. By noon, the Pitocin was as high as it would go, and I was contracting every two minutes. The contractions did not really hurt all that much, and I was able to breathe through them just fine.

The doctor came and checked me at 1:30, and incredibly I had not even dilated a *single* centimeter! He was completely dumbfounded. But after reviewing my chart, he determined that I probably had some scar tissue in my cervix from a previous surgery, and he was going to have to break it up. So, he got out some sort of long, thin metal rod from hell and proceeded to "open up" my cervix with it. (Keep in mind that I had not had ANY pain meds at this time.) He worked on me for about 10 minutes and I was determined not to scream. It was the most painful thing I've ever been through in my life. By the time it was over, I was near hysterical. But the nurse gave me a big shot of Stadol and Phenergan, which really helped calm me down. And the "maneuver" apparently worked, because I immediately went to three cm.

I slept the next few hours away in a Stadol haze, but I'm glad because I needed my strength for later. I went ahead and got my epidural when I woke at 4:00pm, because the contractions were getting kind of intense.

But when the doctor came back at 5:30pm, I was only three cm. So he did his little "maneuver" again - but this time I didn't feel anything because of that wonderful epidural. He got me to seven cm. By 8:30pm I was at 10cm and ready to push. So I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed some more. By 10:00, I was absolutely exhausted, and even though I still had my epi going, I could feel some pretty intense pain. I didn't think I could keep going for much longer.

The doctor said that the baby's head was ramming against my pubic bone and couldn't seem to get under it. He suggested using the vacuum, and I said, "Go for it." I just wanted it to end by this point. So he got out the vacuum and I pushed through two more contractions, and she came out! It was a miracle and I cannot express to you the overwhelming feeling of RELIEF that washes over you when that baby is finally out!

Unfortunately because of her size, I had a 3rd degree tear. He had given me a small episiotomy to get her head out, but when her shoulders came out, I ripped. So for the next few days, I was in pretty bad shape. Couldn't even get out of bed by myself. But let me tell you what a difference a week makes! Now I'm up and around, and my beautiful Christy is nursing like a champ. (We had a few rough days with the nursing, but I think we've both finally gotten the hang of it).

I wish all of you new moms the best of luck with your gorgeous babies, and for the rest of you moms-to-be, good luck with your deliveries. It's completely worth everything you have to go through when you see that sweet, precious creature for the first time.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support