• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Kim and Donovan Lee
Vaginal birth, epidural, forceps, open heart surgery (TGA) at one week old

I had two separate due dates - 4/23/01 lmp and 5/4/01 by ultrasound. The doctor said he would induce me by 5/5/01, so I was looking forward to having a baby by 5/5/01. I went to my last doctor appointment on 5/3/01 and he said that because 5/5/01 was on a Saturday that he wanted me to wait until 5/7/01, which was a Monday. He checked me, and I was thin, he said. So I went home depressed because I wanted to have this baby.

Well, that night we went shopping and went to my in-laws and I was real uncomfortable so we went home. At around 9-9:30pm I started having mild contractions. They were not too bad - just uncomfortable, lasting about 15 seconds and about every five to six minutes apart. So my husband went to work (about 40 miles away).

I took a bath and went to bed. I woke up at 12:00 a.m. because they were really starting to hurt, I went to the living room and had to start breathing through them. They were about 3-4 minutes apart and lasting 30-45 seconds. Before I knew it, it was 3:30 a.m. so I called my husband at work and he came home. He made it in about 20 minutes!

We woke up my stepdaughter, dropped her off at my mom's, and went to the hospital. They took a urine sample, hooked me to the machines, and put in an I.V. because I was dehydrated. My doctor came in and checked me. I was at 1 1/2 centimeters and 80% effaced. He broke my water and hooked up the internal monitor. Then the contractions were really killing me. I felt like I had to use the rest room, so they helped me in there, and I had diarrhea very bad. I got back into bed, they fixed my I.V. because it fell out, and then I started throwing up. I threw up until I was dry heaving. Then they had to fix my I.V. again because there was blood everywhere. I was moved me to the LDR room where they gave me an enema, shaved me, and gave me an epidural. Then I fell asleep.

They came and checked me twice. The first time I was at five centimeters and the second time I was at nine, so they got everything ready for the delivery. Once they were done, they checked me and I was at 10 cm and fully effaced. The doctor came in and checked me, and told the nurse to have me start pushing. I pushed for two hours, and then the doctor came back in and decided he would use forceps. He put the forceps in, told me to push, and I delivered my son Donovan Lee at 12:54 p.m., weighing 7 lbs. 10 1/2 oz. 21 1/2" long. I was exhausted.

The next day we found out that he had a condition called TGA transposition of the great arteries, they shipped him by helicopter to the University of Chicago, and he had open heart surgery when he was a week old. He is doing very well now. He still has some minor problems, but he is seeing his Cardiologist very often and they said he will be just like a normal healthy boy.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support