• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Maribel and her son Esteban
Vaginal Delivery, Pitocin, Epidural

I was 19 years old when my boyfriend of three years and I found out we were expecting a baby! We were really excited to have a little person that will have a little bit of both of us. I had been experiencing severe morning sickness, and so was the daddy. I was also about a week and a half late on my period, and I am the type that has normal month to month ones right on schedule . . . so we knew something was up. We went to the clinic and found out I was pregnant. It was a very exciting day for us!

I had a very normal pregnancy with the occasional aches and pains here and there. Once I reached 36 weeks along, I was absolutely ready to have this little guy. I mean I had gotten huge!! I had gained over 60 pounds overall!! Very not cool for a person only 5'2!! And I didn't even feel like I ate that much, I swear!! Not many cravings . . . just the routine need to wake up at 2 am and down like three cups of milk. I had stretch marks all over my belly and was pretty much missing my old body by then. The whole time I had been working up until 37 weeks along, when I felt I just couldn't make it to the office anymore. Wanting to move things along quicker I would hop on the treadmill every single day to walk and walk and walk. Then soon after all the walking, I happily discovered my mucous plug when I used the restroom to pee for the hundredth time that day. Nothing seemed to be different that day until we went over to a friend's house, and that is when I started feeling period cramping every few minutes. Whoo-hoo!! I thought this might finally be it. The only un-cool thing about this situation was that the daddy had been drinking with the buddies and was not hearing anything that I was saying. When I told him that I thought this was "it" and that I was experiencing contractions every 5 minutes, he insisted that I was just tired and should go to sleep. This very much upset me, believe me I was furious.

I had my mother come over and that is when she convinced me to call the Labor and Delivery for some advice. The nurse asked me to come in and get checked out. I gathered my bags and left to the hospital with just my mom beside me, since the sleeping and in denial daddy-to-be was passed out in the bedroom. After a few hours of being monitored they decided that I was in labor but it was too early to be checked in. Therefore (big disappointed sigh on my part) I was sent home with instructions to walk a lot. That is exactly what I did when we arrived back home. I walked and walked and couldn't do much else from the excitement. I really really wanted to have this baby already!

After what seemed like forever I was feeling the contractions much more and was worried I wouldn't make it to the hospital in time since it was 45 minutes away. I had chosen this wonderful hospital even though it was far from home because I had previously worked there once and loved the maternity ward. So there we go with bags in tow, (the daddy now awake and alert after a wonderful night's sleep). After being in triage for over an hour the nurse walked in and said she was going to check me, and what do you know, I was 4 cm dilated and fully effaced. The cervix check and stretching of it was incredibly painful I must add, and this made me realize there was no way I would be able to handle a whole baby coming out of there since little tiny fingers HURT that bad. So we decided on getting the epidural.

With the epidural I was then able to sleep soundly the whole entire night. Every now and then I would wake up when a nurse would come in and check on my progress. When morning came they decided to break my water to speed things along. Let me just say that I was feeling waaaay too numb from the epidural's high dosage by now and I couldn't even move my arms very well! Very not cool. Then as morning came and went and the afternoon was fast approaching I was asked if I felt the need to push at all. Well I couldn't feel not ONE THING, but I said yes anyway because I wanted to have my son already. My doctor was not on call that weekend so another OB from her office was there to deliver my baby. This was disappointing at first, but once the experience happened I was glad because she was just wonderful.

After only 10 minutes of intense pushing I gave birth to my first born son whom we named Esteban. He weighed a healthy 7 lbs and 4 oz, and was 20 inches long. This was a great learning experience for me and I have never been happier since.

We love our baby boy and he is 2 years old now! Time has gone by so fast! He is soon going to be a big brother since I am currently pregnant with my second son. I am nervous and excited all over again, I love our boys!!!


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support