• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Keisha and Haley
Pre-eclampsia, Induced Labor, C-Section

My name is Keisha, and I'm 18. I had a great pregnancy until I was 33 weeks. One night around 4 a.m. I woke up with the worse headache. My mother was awake at the time, and she told me to take my blood pressure since my headache was so bad. I took my blood pressure and it was 200/120. We called the hospital and spoke with my doctor. He told me to get to the hospital.

After many tests and being in and out of the hospital, I was told I had pre-eclampsia. I was sent home at the end of my 35th week and was told to stay in bed and not get up until the Friday of next week to go to the doctor. I did what I was told and went to the doctor on Friday, January 30, 1998. My blood pressure and urine was checked. When the doctor came in, he told me my blood pressure was real high and that I had a high amount of protein in my urine. He measured my uterus, and I measured 42 cm. He asked me if I was sure I was 36 weeks, and I told him I was sure. He examined me, and I was 3 cm dilated, but the baby was still real high. He told me to go to the hospital because I needed to be induced.

At the hospital and I was hooked up to the blood pressure machine. When the doctor came in, he told me that we could wait until the morning to induce. He wanted me to get some rest overnight. But an hour or two later, I started running a fever. He told me that we needed to go ahead and induce. They put in my IV for the pitocin and other fluids. At 8 p.m. the pitocin was started. They raised the amount every 2 hours. The second time it was raised, the baby's heart rate went down to 78 bpm. I was very scared and afraid I was going to lose my baby. They turned me to my side and put me on oxygen. Thank God her heart rate went back to normal. The oxygen was taken off, and I was left to labor. They checked my cervix and I was at 4 to 5 cm. At around 5 a.m. I was checked again. I was at 6 cm. I asked for my epidural. It was inserted with no problems. My contractions were not making me dilate. Instead of my contractions getting closer they were getting further apart. At 7:30 a.m. I was checked and I was still 6 cm and the baby was still high. I was given an pelvic exam and it was determined that my pelvic bone was too narrow for her to pass through. It was putting her in distress. I was immediately prepared for c-section.

After 12 hours of labor and a c-section, Haley Michelle was born at 8:36 a.m. weighing in at 7 lbs 13 oz and 20 1/4 inches long. She was very healthy, and I was happy.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support