• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Charlene and Jasmine
Vaginal delivery, pain shot, no epidural

My due date for my daughter was October 29. I woke up Saturday, October 26th at about 2:30 in the morning with cramps. They came every 15 minutes and lasted about 60 seconds. I then realized they were contractions. Every time I dozed off I was awakened by a contraction. So at about 7:30 I called the hospital and was told that I was probably not in labor and to take a warm bath and some children's aspirin. So I did this but it didn't help. I laid on the couch and dozed until 11:00 - 11:30. My boyfriend and I were at his aunt's house at the time so when she came home she told me that I was in labor and we called my grandmother. My aunt and uncle came and got us and picked up my grandmother and took us to the hospital. After the doctor checked me, he said I was only 1cm dilated so they sent me home. I laid on the couch and tried to get some sleep. At 9:30 I walked to the video store and came home. I was still having contractions and they were still 15 minutes apart.

At 11:00 my grandmother called her friend to pick us up and take us to the hospital. The doctor checked and I was only 2-3cm dilated. They told me I could stay or go home. My grandmother told them I was staying. They hooked me to a fetal monitor for awhile and then told me to walk around. I walked around then got in the jacuzzi tub. When I got out they checked me again. I was only 4cm. They asked me if I wanted a epidural and I said yes. They told me I had to be at least 5cm so I walked around again. When I got back they gave me a shot of some pain medication and hooked me up to an I.V. When they checked me again I was 9cm and they told me it was too late for an epidural. That made me mad because I was in a lot of pain.

I got up to go to the bathroom and saw that I lost my mucous plug. On the way back to the bed my water broke. That scared me because it was like I was using the bathroom and couldn't stop. Then I had the urge to push so I held on to the bed and pushed. Then I got back in the bed and the doctor and nurse told me to keep pushing. It was about 4:00 Sunday morning. After 20 minutes the doctor and nurse said they could see my daughter's head. I pushed a couple more times and her head came out. By this time I am in so much pain I stopped pushing and asked the nurse if they couldn't just pull her out. She said "What do you want us to do, grab her by the shoulders and yank her out?" That's exactly what I wanted because I was tired of pushing. Then the doctor said to give them two big pushes. After three big pushes my daughter finally arrived. She came out screaming. They let my boyfriend cut her cord and they laid her on my lap. I was so happy it was all over and I had my beautiful daughter in my arms. She weighed 6 lbs, 4 oz and was 19 1/2 inches. We named her Jasmine Perle Ann. She is now a happy and healthy four-year-old who is excited to meet her little brother who is due in April.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support