• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Robin and her twins Justin and Kaitlyn
Twin pregnancy, High Blood Pressure, Pre-eclampsia, Induced with Pitocin, Vaginal Delivery at 35 Weeks

I found out on February 19, 1998 that I was 6.5 weeks pregnant with twins. This is my husband's and my first pregnancy. Needless to say not only were we shocked, but scared. I had a great pregnancy with no problems up until my 31st week. I started having problems with swelling and high blood pressure. I was put on bed rest for a weekend, and when I did get the okay to work again, I had to be a couch potato and get four hours of bedrest a day when not at work. My doctor told me that my goal was to get to 35 weeks and then we would go from there.

I was going twice a week to the doctors for non-stress tests and to have my blood pressure checked. On August 31, 1998, I was 35 weeks pregnant and at my doctor's appointment, my blood pressure was high so he admitted me to the hospital for observation. He had been testing me for pre-eclampsia since my 31st week. When I was in the hospital and hooked up to all the machines, it showed that I was having contractions that were 2 - 3 minutes apart and was a centimeter dilated and about 80% effaced. My doctor decided that if my blood pressure didn't go down, they would induce me in the morning unless I developed pre-eclampsia before then or if mother nature was going to take over. I had a lot of problems with swelling so I was kind of excited that I would possibly be delivering my babies the next day.

I had a total of 5 ultrasounds during my pregnancy and 3 of them showed that we were having a boy and a girl and that they were both vertex. Twin A (the girl) was farther down and had pushed Twin B (the boy) out of the way. My last ultrasound was August 31, 1998 and Twin A was so far down that you couldn't see her head on the monitor. On Tuesday, September 1, 1998, my doctor induced me since I developed pre-eclampsia and my blood pressure was not going down.

I was induced at 9 am with pitocin and magnesium sulfate (for seizures since I had high blood pressure). I didn't start feeling any heavy contractions until around 11:30 am and let me tell you, they were instant hard contractions with only a few seconds between them. My doctor broke my water around 1:00 pm, and I was about 1 1/2 centimeters, but 95% effaced. My labor and delivery nurse was the greatest. She knew that I was in pain so we told the anesthesiologist that I was 2 - 3 centimeters so that I could get my epidural. After that was done I was already 3 centimeters so I guess we really didn't lie. My doctor came back in around 5:30 pm to check me, and I was 5 1/2 centimeters dilated, and he figured I would go around 9 or 10 pm. At 6:30 pm, my nurse checked me again and I was complete!

They rushed me into the operating room since I was having twins and my husband, mom and best friend dressed in scrubs for the big event. As soon as I was in the operating room my nurse had me start pushing. I pushed once and then my doctor was there to take over. I pushed about five times and out came our beautiful daughter, Kaitlyn Alyssa, weighing 4 lbs. 13 oz. and 18 inches long at 6:57 pm. My doctor had also told me that there could be as much as 45 minutes between the births of the babies, but he had me push to see if he would come down and in three pushes out came our beautiful son, Justin Edward, weighing 5 lbs. 5 oz. and 17 1/2 inches long at 7:06pm. Both babies came out with no problems and screaming as soon as they were out! I had a small episiotomy with Justin.

Kaitlyn was taken to the nursery and Justin was given to us to hold for a few minutes and then he to was taken to the nursery. Although our babies had good weights, Justin had premature lungs and was on oxygen for six days and had a line in his stomach for testing blood gasses. He was borderline for being ventilated to help him breathe, but thank goodness he never was sick enough for that to happen. Justin and Kaitlyn both had jaundice and had to be under the bili lights for several days. Kaitlyn was having problems with sucking so they kept her for six days so that they could get her to eat better. Justin was in the hospital for a total of 16 days. Kaitlyn came home on September 7, 1998 and Justin came home on September 16, 1998. Both of them are doing great and you would never know that they were preemies and had a delayed start.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support