• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Ryann and Malik
Vaginal birth, epidural, episiotomy

It was August 31st when I went to the Planned Parenthood for my annual check up. I had been feeling really sick and was late for my period, but I did think anything of it because my periods never come when the are supposed to. My nipples had been very hot, I mean, when I would put my forearms on them they would be warm. I told all of this to the nurse that was going to check me that day and she suggested we do a pregnancy test just to make sure. Two minutes later she came back and told me it was positive. I was so shocked I didn't know what to do. I called my boyfriend that I had only been with for two months and told him the news, well tried my hardest - I was crying so much and I was so scared. I hid it from my family for about three weeks, because I was only 18. It would have been longer, but my nosey aunt was going through my purse one day looking for her keys when she found my prenatal pills. After she found out we told my grandmother. She was mad the first couple minutes, then she was worried about what my mother was going to say. I was too terrified to tell her myself, so I made my aunt tell her. She didn't talk to me for about the first four months. Everything went well with my pregnancy until I got a kidney infection and had to be put in the hospital for five days.

The day that I went into labor was May 2. I had been having mild contractions all day but again thought nothing about it, because I had already been to the hospital 3 times before that for false labor. The whole day I just sat at home expecting a normal day. I had to pick my boyfriend up at work at four so I slept most of the day. When I went to pick him up I had four little contractions, I told him I had felt this all day and that was the end of that. On the way home I had two more. When we finally got home he wanted to see his friend's new apartment. He was gone for about 30 minutes when they really started to come, so I started to think maybe I was in early labor (One of the nurses said that I probably was in early labor a couples days before that). So I laid down in bed and put in the video "Honey I Shrunk the Kids." I didn't even get halfway through the movie when I felt like I had to go to the bathroom. So I went and when I wiped I saw nothing but pinkish color mucus. I had lost my mucus plug and started to cry. I didn't know what to expect next. I was the only one home. My grandma had left with my aunt. I paged Tracey and my doctor as soon as I got out of the bathroom. Thankfully my grandma showed up just as I hung up the phone. Now the contractions were about five minutes apart, and my aunt then rushed me to the emergency room. The pain was so incredible - how could I ever think I was in labor before?

It was about 4:30pm when I got to the labor and delivery floor. They checked me and I was only at one cm, so they made me walk. The pain was horrible. I didn't think that I was going to be able to go through this much longer. After about 40 minutes of walking I reached two cm, whoopee! I didn't waste any time at all; I got my epidural right after that. I got to get a little rest but about 1:10, I was awoken by much harder contractions. My epidural had worn off! The nurse didn't believe that I was feeling pain so she made me sit there for about an hour and half, before she gave me more medication, but I still could feel the awful contractions. The nurse asked me to stand up just to make sure that the epidural really wore off. It did, and not only that, it slipped out! Just great. I had to sit still for another painful epidural. Thank God, because right after that my water broke, and when the nurse checked me again I was at 10 cm, ready to push.

I only pushed about five times when out came the love of my life. Malik Trevaun Phillips, born May 3, 2001 at 4:41am. My little prince weighed 7 lbs 14 oz and was 21 1/2 inches long. I did need a episiotomy but other than that, I had a perfect birth and would do it all over again if I could, just to feel the same way I felt when I first saw my son. Malik is now a month and a half. I love him so much. Tracey and I are still together and as happy as can be. I love the two men in my life and could be no happier.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support