• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Marissa and Mathew
Pre-eclampsia, epidural, magnesium, pitocin, forceps vaginal delivery

My original due date was February 8, but for some reason I knew that my baby wasn't coming on time. Exactly a week passed before I went into labor. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. on February 15 needing to go to the bathroom. I went, and found that I had some bloody show. I didn't think much of it yet, as I was trying not to get my hopes up. I laid back down in bed, and within about 15 minutes I had my first contraction. I timed them for awhile; they were about 20 minutes apart so I didn't wake up my boyfriend. By about 6 a.m. I woke up my boyfriend to let him know not to go to work that morning, and we timed the contractions together until they were four minutes apart.

We got in the car and went to the hospital, and my water broke on the walk from the car to L&D. They checked and found that the amniotic fluid had meconium staining, and they also diagnosed me with pre-eclampsia at this time. They started me on magnesium, I got a heavenly epidural, and they also gave me penicillin, as well as flushing out the amniotic fluid through a tube inserted into my uterus. They used an internal monitor, since they couldn't keep the baby's heartbeat with an external one.

The epidural combined with the magnesium pretty much knocked me out for about seven hours, and also slowed the contractions down to the point that they had to give me pitocin and warned us that I was in danger of a cesarean because the baby's heartbeat kept dropping. I only started to wake up when the epidural wore off and I could feel the contractions again. I was so groggy, I didn't really remember much except begging for more epidural. They gave it to me, but it didn't help because the baby had lodged its head into the left side of my pelvis and I was fully dilated, so with each contraction (and later pushing) it hurt terribly. I pushed for about three hours before the doctor decided to use forceps. All I remember of that was that they hurt more than any contraction I had. I had an episiotomy because my baby's head was so large.

Finally my son was born at 8:55 pm on February 15 after 21 hours of labor, a healthy 8.5 lb., 22-inch long angel. The poor thing had bruises on his face and head from the forceps, and I wasn't allowed out of bed for 24 hours afterwards because they kept me on magnesium for another day. The only thing I would change would probably be to try other, weaker kinds of pain relief before resorting straight to an epidural, because I probably wouldn't have been in labor for so long. But I'd do it all again if I had to for my son. He's the most wonderful thing that's ever happened to me.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support