• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Athena and Michaela
Michaela enters the world four weeks early, as her Daddy serves his country in Kuwait. Quick labor and delivery with no pain medication.

Michaela Lynn was born March 2, 2001, while her Daddy, Michael, was in Kuwait serving his country, with the U. S. Army.

We have two sons, ages 11, and 7. We wanted desperately to have a girl and at my 20 week checkup I had a sonogram in which my precious bundle was very willing to show off her female identity. I received a call that afternoon from her daddy in Kuwait and told him the happy news. He was jumping up and down and yelling to anyone that he could, "It's a girl!"

I was staying with my parents since we live 300 miles apart and I needed family at this time. I went to my 36 week checkup and was told by the doctor that I was four centimeters dilated and shouldn't stray too far from home. I lived an hour from the hospital so he suggested that I come as soon as I started feeling contractions.

At midnight I felt the first contraction and it was no big deal. I decided to get a little sleep before going to the hospital since the contractions were 15 minutes apart. At 1:00 a.m. I woke and discovered the contractions were ten minutes apart. I woke my mother and we arranged for my father to stay home with my boys while we headed to the hospital. I arrived at the hospital at 3:00 a.m. in the pouring rain. The nurses settled me in and at 4:00 a.m. I was dilated to five centimeters and really not in very much pain. The nurses told me that the contractions would have to get a lot harder if I was to deliver soon. Little did they know that they were so wrong. At 5:30 I was still not in much pain and my family members had begun to arrive.

My sister-in-law had agreed to stay with me during delivery. My sister and mother were both in the room and we were having a nice conversation when all of a sudden my water broke with such a noise that my sister jumped out of her chair and yelled "What was that?" I explained that my water had broken and asked that they call the nurse.

I had the most horrible pain all of a sudden, and I could feel the baby's head. I kept telling my mother to get the nurse because the baby was coming. It was now 6:00 a.m. and the nurse came in and checked my cervix. Her eyes opened really wide and she buzzed the nurses station and told them to get the doctor 'stat.' I did not have an IV hooked up, the nurses had not brought the infant bed, or made any preparations at all. The doctor ran in and told me not to push yet. That is the worse thing you can hear when your whole body is saying "get it out now!!!"

The baby's head was coming out on its own and the doctor could do nothing but stand there and catch. The nurses had just barely gotten the IV in my arm. My sister was upset with me for slapping her hand when she tried to help. But I have decided that a fast delivery was easier than the slower ones I had the first two times.

Since my husband had to be contacted through Red Cross about my being at the hospital, he called just as she was being born and was able to hear her first cry. He added his tears to hers, but they were tears of wonderful joy.

Michaela came into the world one month early, but she went home with me the next day, perfectly healthy, and the most perfect and beautiful darling in the whole world.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support