• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Amanda and Michayla
Spontaneous rupture of membranes, cervidil, pitocin, epidural, episiotomy

I was due on a Sunday, and looking forward to giving birth, as I was VERY uncomfortable. Saturday rolled around, and at 8:30 AM, my water broke during one of my many trips to the bathroom. We called the doctor, and since I am group b strep positive, up to the hospital we went, even though I wasn't in labor. I was, however, one centimeter dilated, and 90% effaced.

They hooked me up to an IV, and walking the maternity ward we went, trying to start labor. It didn't work. At around 9:30 p.m. they gave me a cervidil to soften the cervix. That produced some very strong contractions, but it fell out during another one of my many trips to the bathroom. They gave me some stadol, which I liked very much. The nurse told me I would feel a little drunk as it took effect, and I said that was a good thing, as I hadn't felt that in a long time. (I turned 21 while I was pregnant.) Then I took a nap. When I awoke, they checked my cervix, and found I had dilated to three centimeters. Joy! I was finally making progress. By then it was 11:45 p.m. and the doctor finally decided to induce. They told me they were going to give me pitocin, and that the contractions would be worse than what I had already gone through. So they hooked me up the epidural. What a wonderful feeling! NOTHING!

I went to sleep after that, and the nurse woke me up at 3:00 a.m. on Sunday to give me oxygen to wake the baby, and told me if I felt any pressure, to call her. It wasn't even 20 minutes, and we rang for the nurse. I pushed for a short while, I guess it was about 40 minutes, and at 3:44 a.m., right on my due date, my nine-pound baby girl was born. I still don't know how she fit inside of me; I am only 5' 7" and WAS 135 pounds.

The strangest thing was waiting to get the feeling in my legs back as the epidural wore off. I could move them up and down, but not side to side. That was pretty odd. My mom, dad, and husband all attended the birth. Mom held one leg, and my dad held my head, and "helped" me push. I think he was trying to have the baby for me. Too bad he couldn't!

When I first started pushing, they kept telling me they could see the head, and all I wanted was to see, so they brought in a big mirror. Well, I forgot my dad was standing next to my head, and whatever I could see, so could he. Poor guy, he had been trying all day not to see anything, and be modest, and the big moment arrives, and I get a big mirror, and he gets full view of everything.

The mirror helped more than I thought it would, talk about motivation! The nurses were telling me what to do, and I could tell when I was doing it right, and seeing her head gave me that last little bit of energy I needed. The only thing I didn't like about having the mirror was I saw the doctor actually do the episiotomy, and then the nurses forgot to move it right away and I saw him start to stitch me up. I think one of the nurses moved the mirror when she saw me turn green. Yuck. That was the worst part.

All in all I think I had a pretty easy pregnancy and birth. I would do it again, but sometimes when she's crying, I rethink that a little. But only a little!

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support