• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Tristi and baby Paige
Uneventful Pregnancy, Quick Labor Without Medication, Vaginal Delivery

Last year, on February 18th, my life changed yet again. As I stared at the two pink lines on the pregnancy test, I started to cry. This was not what I had planned at all! I had an active 18 month old daughter, I was planning on standing in a wedding that summer and money wasn't exactly pouring in at the moment.

After tentatively telling my husband, who took it rather well, the pregnancy began its course. It was a rather boring pregnancy, actually. Almost no morning sickness, no problems really at all. I was very busy with my daughter and the months seemed to fly by. My due date was October 25th. The summer flew by and in no time I was at 34 weeks. Around then, I began to get more uncomfortable. My hips bothered me, coming out of joint whenever I walked too much. I was feeling so much pressure that sometimes getting out of bed was literally impossible!

So by the time I was 37 weeks, I was miserable. When my doctor checked me (at my request, as I was having contractions nearly every night), I was at 1 centimeter, and 25 percent effaced. At my 38 week appointment, I was found to be dilated to 2, and 50 percent effaced. I was thrilled! That meant I would probably go soon!

Now my doctor told me to call him if I had more than 6 contractions in one hour. Ha! I was having contractions every night, sometimes for two or more hours, that were 5 to 10 minutes apart! I had been induced with my first daughter, and never gone into labor on my own, so I didn't know what to expect.

So, when on the night of October 16th, I began having contractions around 7:00 pm I assumed it was the same type of contractions. After a couple hours of these contractions, they were still completely painless, but closer together. Around ten that night, I called the doctor, and let the nurse know that I thought I was in labor. I was told that I was in early labor and to wait until my contractions were too painful to talk through. I said, "Okay," and settled in for the night!

Just after 11:00 pm, I had a very painful contraction all of a sudden. After a couple more like this, I woke my husband, and told him I wanted to go in to the hospital. He asked, "Are you sure?" Needless to say, I was sure! So we dropped our daughter off at my in-laws and were on our way.

About half way to the hospital my contractions began coming every 3 minutes and I was feeling lots of pressure. I began to panic just a little, telling my husband to drive faster! We arrived at the hospital at 12:15 am, and I was so relieved! I waddled into the maternity ward and we were brought to the triage area. I was given a gown to change into and was put on a fetal monitor. The nurse was calmly taking her time, and my contractions were coming so close together I only had about 30 seconds between them. When the nurse asked if I would be getting an epidural, I replied, "If there's time!" I think she thought I was being a big baby!

When the nurse finally checked me, she looked up with a surprised look on her face and told me I wouldn't be having time for an epidural. I was dilated to 8 centimeters with a bulging bag of water. I was wheeled into a room, and somehow maneuvered myself onto the bed. The doctor came into the room and told me she wanted to break my water. I don't know why, I was progressing fast enough in my opinion! Just before she was going broke my water, I had an extremely bad contraction and during it, my water broke on its own. Immediately, I felt a strong unbearable urge to push. I was given the go-ahead (the nurse actually said, "Go for it!") and pushed. After just one push, I was told to stop and pant. I did, and then was told to push again. As I looked down, my daughter's head was delivered! I was amazed and in awe! The rest of her body was delivered quickly and she began to cry right away! She screamed actually, and didn't stop for several minutes! She was born at 12:46 am, just a half hour after we arrived at the hospital, and weighed 7 pounds and 1 ounce. We named her Paige Ann.

She is such a blessing to our family. She is the happiest baby I've ever known and I'm the proudest mommy I've ever known!

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support