• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Kristi and Scott
Induction, 3 epidurals, c-section

ScottyI found out I was pregnant on August 23, 1998. It came as a big shock to me and my husband. My doctor told me to stop taking birth control pills because I had been on them too long (9 years). My husband and I discussed this and decided we would see what happened. I have had many female problems for several years (i.e. cysts, abnormal pap smears, etc). We really didn't think I would get pregnant so easily. I stopped taking birth control pills at the end of May and got pregnant two months later. Boy, that was fast!

My pregnancy started out pretty complicated. When I was seven weeks pregnant, I had only found out a week earlier, I started having pains in my side. My doctor set up an ultrasound because he thought I might have an ectopic pregnancy. The ultrasound showed everything to be fine. I did have a low progesterone level, so my doctor put me on medicine for that until I was 13 weeks. The doctor also said if I hadn't reported this to him I probably would've had a miscarriage. I had another ultrasound when I was 12 weeks just to make sure everything with the baby was fine . . . it was. I got to hear the heartbeat for the first time, and it was wonderful! It's a moment I will never forget! I had some morning sickness. Actually, I can't call it morning sickness because I was more sick at night. I thought that to be very strange.

On December 8, 1998, tragedy struck. A truck came around a curb too fast (going 60 miles an hour) and ran into the back of our house where I was at. I was in the bathroom when it hit and it knocked me into our bedroom and a dresser fell on my back. I was scared to death! My back started hurting and my husband and I thought we should go to the hospital to check things out. I was there for four hours and they watched the baby very closely . . . everything was fine. The next day, I had a scheduled doctor's appointment and when he took out the instrument to hear the baby , he couldn't hear a heartbeat. He set up an ultrasound for the next day which was my birthday! It was the longest night of my life. I kept thinking what I could've done differently.

The next day I went in for my ultrasound. I prepared myself for the worst. The news, however, was great. My baby was in a position where the doctor couldn't hear his heartbeat. Everything was fine. The tech looked at my husband and said, "Do you want to know the sex of the baby?" My husband immediately responded, "YES!" The tech looked at me and then at Scott and said, "It's a strong, healthy boy." What a wonderful 25th birthday present!

The next four months went by fast. I went on maternity leave when I was 34 weeks. At my 36 week appointment, my doctor said he thought the baby would come early. I was 2 cm dilated and 80 percent effaced. I was ready to get the ball rolling. My due date was April 15, 1999. That day came and went. I went in for another appointment on April 16, and the doctor said if I hadn't gone into labor by April 19, he would induce me. We arrived at the hospital on April 19. They checked me when I got there and I was already 3 cm dilated at 7 a.m. By 8 a.m. I was 4 cm and by 10, I was at 5 cm. My contractions weren't bad at all. I could hardly feel them. They turned up the pitocin and said if I wanted an epidural I should have one now because I might be dilated too far to get one in another hour or so. I did and that's when things got bad.

The first epidural was given to me at 10:45 a.m. I don't mind pain that much but my epidural hurt! At 11 a.m. my face started going numb and I couldn't breathe. They took the epidural out and gave me a little time to rest. They tried to put another one in at 11:45 a.m. but kept hitting my spine. Epidural 3 finally worked at 12:30 p.m. The nurse came in to check me at 1 p.m. and found I was still dilated to a 5. I hadn't changed since 10 that morning. She came back in at 2 p.m. and brought the doctor who broke my bag of water. At 3 p.m. my contractions almost came to a stop and I wouldn't dilate any more. They turned up the pitocin, but it didn't help. The doctor came in again at 5:45 p.m. and said I still hadn't changed any. He set up a c-section for me. He thought the baby was going to be too big for me. I'm not a skinny person, but he believed my birth canal was too small for the baby.

My son, Scott Hunter Hayes, was born April 19, 1999, at 6:54 p.m. He weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz. and was 20 3/4 inches long. He looked just like his daddy with blonde hair and big blue eyes. That's why I named him after his dad! Getting over the c-section wasn't too bad. I developed an infection while in the hospital which kept me there for a week. After getting out of the hospital, I caught the flu and couldn't eat anything for four solid days. I then developed the "baby blues" and it was awful!

Things are going great now. My son is 16 months old and the love and light of my life. We're not really thinking about more kids right now. I'm too scared that I'll have to have another c-section and I don't want one. I'd like to try a VBAC.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support