• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Pauline and Shaun
Pregnancy After Infertility, Unmedicated Vaginal Delivery

When my husband and I decided to try for a baby, we had just celebrated our first wedding anniversary. I was hopeful that we would conceive quickly.

At my yearly exam seven months later, I discussed the failure to get pregnant with my OB-GYN. He discovered I was not ovulating regularly and put me on Clomid. After two cycles on Clomid, I was still not pregnant. He decided to have my husband's sperm count checked. First he scheduled a post-coital test. He was not able to locate any sperm inside of me even though we had been intimate that morning. The tests were done and my husband was found to have a very low count. We were very upset because from what we has read, male infertility was much harder to deal with.

We were referred to a urologist. Upon examining my husband, he found a varicose vein in one of his testicles. We were told that surgery to tie of the offending vein had a 70% chance of fixing his low count. The surgery was scheduled for the day after our second wedding anniversary. We were told to call back in four months to have another test done to check his count. The day we were waiting for the call back on the results was very tense. We were elated to find out his count had improved by almost 50 million!!! Two months later, we found out we were pregnant. I will never forget that day!

My pregnancy was fairly easy with no complications. My due date was set for October 25, 1997. We decided not to find out what we were having so we could have the surprise in the delivery room.

At about 32 weeks, I was examined and was told by my Midwife that I was carrying very low. The baby had already dropped. They did not seem concerned, but said I might deliver early. When I was 36 weeks, I was taken out of work and advised to rest. I was also told to stay close to home.

Two days before my due date, I had a prenatal visit. I was quite depressed that day because labor had not started yet. I counted on being early because that's what I was told. I was only dilated 1 centimeter at that visit and had no signs of labor. My midwife told me to go home a get up on my hands and knees and rock every 15 minutes. The baby's head was turned slightly to the side, so she said the rocking would turn him and may get labor going.

I went home and rocked. I did this every 15 minutes for almost two hours. Around 9pm I gave up and decided to get ready for bed. I decided to play a few games of cards on the computer before bed. At 9:30pm, I felt my first contraction. The first hour I had one every 10 minutes. They varied in intensity, so the Midwife suggested a shower to see if I was really in labor. If they were false contractions, the shower could stop them. I showered, and about 15 minutes later, my contractions were five minutes apart. By 11:30pm, I was on the phone saying I had to go to the hospital. Some of the contractions were less than three minutes apart. By the time I was checked at 1am, I was four centimeters. I asked for some pain relief. I was told I had to wait for my Midwife to examine me first. She did not arrive until almost 2am. When she checked me, I was 7 centimeters. She broke my water and told me I would be ready to push soon and that there really wasn't time for an epidural. By 3am, I felt the urge to push. At 4:20am, our little boy, Shaun William came into the world.

Looking back, I'm glad I went without drugs. The pain was horrible from 7 centimeters to 10, but when I started to push the pain seemed to go away. I was blessed with a 7 hour labor. My little bundle is now almost 16 months! We are looking forward to trying for another baby soon. I'll probably have to leave for the hospital after my first contraction! I do feel good knowing I could handle the pain, but if I had a longer labor, I don't think it would have been drug free.


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support