• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Brenda and Sierra Kay
41 weeks, Vaginal Delivery with Episiotomy and Pain Meds

On the evening of April 25, 1997, I took a home pregnancy test. It was a bit early, but I was anxious to find out if I was pregnant since we had started trying the month before. Lo and behold, there was a faint faint pink line! We were so excited. This was my second pregnancy; I also have a little boy named Wyatt who was born on September 22, 1994.

My pregnancy was pretty uneventful. We had an ultrasound at nine weeks and got to see the little angel. The doctor said all was well and gave me the due date of January 2, 1998.

At around 28 weeks, I started having pains in my lower region which the doctor reassured me was just ligament stretching. After another two weeks of continuous pain, I went back and told the doctor that I was still having pains and a lot of braxton hicks contractions. They did a urine test and found I was, indeed, suffering from more than simple ligament stretching. I had a urinary tract infection which was irritating my uterus causing me to have pre-term contractions. Needless to say I was scared! I had be hooked up to monitors for about three hours each appointment which was every week. I was put on some antibiotics for the UTI and terbutaline to stop the contractions. Despite my softening cervix which was a fingertip dilated due to those complications, I recovered and the baby was fine. I was taken off the medications, and the pre-term labor scare was over thankfully!!!!

As the due date of January 2 approached, I was getting very anxious and was wondering how much longer as all pregnant mothers do. I had increasing pelvic pressure which just worsened at night and backache. I passed my due date and on my appointment January 5, the doctor said that since I was past 40 weeks, she would give me the option of being induced on the 9th which was the day I turned 41 weeks. I told her YES! So we made plans . . .

Fate took a cute turn. On the morning of the 9th, I got up at 5 am to start getting ready because I was to be at the hospital at 6:30 am to start prepping for the 8 am induction. I got up to go to the restroom as I do every morning and as I wiped, I noticed red blood streaked on the tissue. I was like, "Great! The day I am getting induced, I am going to start labor." I decided to continue getting ready and go to the hospital anyway hoping they would still give me the pitocin to speed things along. I took my son to the neighbor's at 5:30 am and my husband and I left for the hospital. On the way there, I noticed the contractions were increasing and getting stronger rather fast. We arrived at the hospital on time at 6:30 am. By then the contractions were getting a bit painful. I told the nurse I was there for the induction but was pretty certain I was already in labor. She decided to check me, and I was at 5 cm. She said we'd see how things go.

By 7:00 am I was jumping along and screaming. I was checked again and was found to be at 7 cm. They decided to beep the doctor. I said GOOD because by then I was wanting some pain meds! The doctor showed up at 8 am and said okay to some pain medication. I was moving along faster then they expected. Needless to say, I didn't get induced. The doctor checked me yet again and found I was up to 8 cm and getting hard to work with! The pain was getting overwhelming, I was panicking and starting to hyperventilate which was causing my face to numb. The doctor told me the intensity of the pain was because how fast the baby was pushing him/herself down the canal.

I kept feeling like I had to push so they kept checking me, and I was only at 9 cm. They told me to hold on and fight back the pushes; it wasn't time yet! I couldn't fight them. They decided to do an episiotomy. Around 9:30 am I did reach 10 cm and got the okay to start pushing. It stung and burned so badly that I didn't want to push plus I had no energy either. The two nurses each took a leg and pushed them up against my chest and told me to push and after about five pushes little Miss Sierra Kay was out. AAAAAAhhhhhh thank God!

She was very healthy looking! She weighed in at 8 lbs, 3 ozs and 20 inches long. She scored 8/8 on her apgars and won everyone's heart instantly. She had light brown hair and of course, baby blue eyes. Big brother Wyatt came to see her the following day and cried. Being three years old, he wasn't sure why mom was in the hospital nor why she was holding some baby. But he quickly got over that and loves her to death now. We got to go home the next day by my choice which was nice. I wanted the comforts of my own house. Being it was my second baby the doctored okayed it.

We are all doing well. I only had a second degree cut from the episiotomy which is healing fine. Sierra is doing well. She sleeps good and is the joy of the family now! We are truly blessed to have two wonderful children! My husband and I are extremely thankful all went well.

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support